TrinityCore

[HowTo] Patch from 3.3.5.12340 to 4.3.4.15595 (UPDATED 2014-01-24)

MrSmite

I used the Cata DVD.

The funny thing is, the downloader said it was a 13.8 GB download, but I now have 13.9 GB and it's still going.

Edit:

It stopped at 13.9 GB.

For wow-4.3.0.15050-to-4.3.2.15211, the background downloader is reporting to download 14.9 GB.

I used the Cata DVD.

The funny thing is, the downloader said it was a 13.8 GB download, but I now have 13.9 GB and it's still going.

Edit:

It stopped at 13.9 GB.

For wow-4.3.0.15050-to-4.3.2.15211, the background downloader is reporting to download 14.9 GB.

You used the wrong TFIL then. It should be 7, 7 and 4. It won't hurt anything though so keep going.

OK, my bad. But good to know it won't hurt anything, and I'll keep my eyes open a bit more.

The thing that confused me the most is the instructions that came with the patches. Alot of them say to replace the files in the root folder with the files in the patch directory, and place other MPQ files in different areas, (which was not so confusing) then run launcher.exe. According to your guide, you should NEVER run launcher.exe while patching.

You might want to explain about those in the guide. To follow them to the word or not. Yours came through like a shinning star, but those others....well...lol.

OK, my bad. But good to know it won't hurt anything, and I'll keep my eyes open a bit more.

The thing that confused me the most is the instructions that came with the patches. Alot of them say to replace the files in the root folder with the files in the patch directory, and place other MPQ files in different areas, (which was not so confusing) then run launcher.exe. According to your guide, you should NEVER run launcher.exe while patching.

You might want to explain about those in the guide. To follow them to the word or not. Yours came through like a shinning star, but those others....well...lol.

The guide says to never run Launcher.exe, there's no need for me to explain it further.

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Ignore anything that comes with a patch unless the guide tells you otherwise. If you're following a guide then it supercedes any other instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to download the "3.3.x to 4.0.1" patch,but when I unpack it (it's a rar file) I receive an error message saying "CRC is incorrect".I downloaded it again,but the same message appeared. I'm desperate. After 16 hours of download I do not know what to do. What do you suggest? T.T

I tried to download the "3.3.x to 4.0.1" patch,but when I unpack it (it's a rar file) I receive an error message saying "CRC is incorrect".I downloaded it again,but the same message appeared. I'm desperate. After 16 hours of download I do not know what to do. What do you suggest? T.T

Maybe a WinRAR is an older version? What link did you DL the patch? Was it one posted by MrSmite?

I downloaded the one from MrSmite's guide roughly a month ago, and didn't get that error

No,I have a enGB client so I downloaded the patch from wowwiki as suggested at the top of the guide =(

Use a torrent to get a Cata DVD (approx. 7.72 GB download). It will patch you to 4.0.1.12911 and you can continue from there.

Notes:

• Search kickass.to for "world of warcraft cataclysm iso" (only one result with ~330 seeds)
  • When you run the installer it will need an internet connection to download some UI elements or it will abort. This is OK, it won't screw up your WoW installation.
  • I didn't link directly to the torrent because there aren't any clear forum guidelines about linking to torrents. Even though you can download the client free from Blizzard anyway and what you pay for when purchasing the DVD is the 30 days free + activation code (which is not valid in a torrent), I decided to err on the side of caution.

Never mind.

Edit:

I know I said never mind to this, but...oops.

I was just wondering, if you leave the backgroundupdater running over night, will it launch anything after it is done, or will it just close shop?

Edit 2:

If I do this part, will Blizzard servers try to update my client to MOP?

Run WoW.exe (not Launcher.exe)

• Allow it to connect to Blizzard's servers to check for additional data

I was just wondering, if you leave the backgroundupdater running over night, will it launch anything after it is done, or will it just close shop?

backgrounddownloader just insert into the appropriate MPQ's and closes shop. What I find the best thing to do is. Run backgrounddownloader for that particular version, try to run wow.exe, then move onto the next patch or backgrounddownloader MFIL/TFIL

If I do this part, will Blizzard servers try to update my client to MOP?

It shouldn't unless you run launcher.exe by mistake ;)

+Billy

The BackgroundDownloader doesn't do anything until you click "Finished". At that point it may attempt to run Launcher.exe but if you've taken care of your WTF files then the Launcher will bitch about the server being unreachable and close itself.

Note: You can't simply rename Launcher.exe because some of the patches need to check it's version.

try to run wow.exe, then move onto the next patch or backgrounddownloader MFIL/TFIL

With the updated guide this is not necessary, there are only three patches that provide you extra data. I did not have to stream any additional content after 15595.

• Upvote 1

MrSmite -

Upon trying to unzip the patch from 4.2.2.14545-to-4.3.0.15005 I encounter "Please insert disk 3 of 6" I have tried redownloading just piece 3 as well as all 6 pieces of the archive. I've even gone so far as to clear my browser's cache and trying again, on all 3 mirrors. I have tried using 7zip, winZip, and winRar as well as the unRar CMD utility; none of which have succeeded. Would you be so kind as to check the archive's integrity?..

Thanks in advance,

Paradox

"A man is but the product of his thoughts; What he thinks, he becomes."

MrSmite -

Upon trying to unzip the patch from 4.2.2.14545-to-4.3.0.15005 I encounter "Please insert disk 3 of 6" I have tried redownloading just piece 3 as well as all 6 pieces of the archive. I've even gone so far as to clear my browser's cache and trying again, on all 3 mirrors. I have tried using 7zip, winZip, and winRar as well as the unRar CMD utility; none of which have succeeded. Would you be so kind as to check the archive's integrity?..

Thanks in advance,

Paradox

"A man is but the product of his thoughts; What he thinks, he becomes."

Other people have downloaded it and used it successfully, are you sure your browser didn't rename it?

Other people have downloaded it and used it successfully, are you sure your browser didn't rename it?

I double checked to make sure, but no, my browser did not rename the files. And while I acknowledge that others may have in the past been able to use it successfully, I find myself unable to do so. I am at a loss as to how to proceed - perhaps you can instruct me how to continue whilst skipping this particular patch?..

Again, Thanks -

Paradox

"Before we can learn to walk, we must first learn to fall."

• 4 weeks later...

Or you can use this link and download the whole EnUs Client 100 Percent

I've tried that torrent in the past and it didn't complete for me. Also, I followed a few threads elsewhere that indicated it was enGB.

At any rate, this isn't a thread for torrents. This is for people who want to patch thier client with official patches and not risk downloading some virus.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds Good. I removed the link

Iv'e had to go back and do the same for other "patches" ;)

I didn't mean to sound like a prick (well maybe a little), I just didn't want a bunch of n00bs coming in here posting a crap ton of torrent links and then having people pollute the thread bitching about them not completing or having virii.

PS:

I think I need to update the 6-part patch because it appears one piece is in fact broken. Since it's a split archive I need to reup the whole thing :( because I can't guarantee the new set will split at the same place.

• 2 months later...

Can I use your tools if I have a enGB client?

I'd like to read the readme files (or instructions) in your archives,but I'm not interested in downloading enUS patches...

The guide is not clear in this point:

• If you have a file such as "wow-0-xxxxx-Win-final.MPQ" (where xxxxx matches the patch revision), run this from your WoW root:

"Blizzard Updater.exe" --skippostlaunch=1 --patchlist="Updateswow-0-xxxxx-Win-final.MPQ"

** Replace xxxxx with the proper number for your patch

I have to create a bat file with the instructions in the quote or to use the commands prompt?

Edit 12/20

I tried to install the patch file by launching the Blizzard Updater from the windows command prompt and I got this error message:

The file "patch.cmd" in archive "F:Dati ojfGiochiWorld of Warcraft - CataclysmUpdateswow-update-13287.MPQ" could not be opened, because an error 2 occurred. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::OpenFromArchive)

I read another topic (by Strucker) asking for my same trouble. My patch is missing the win-final file,but I'm patching an enGb client. I'll try to use the ones you uploaded.I hope they'll work fine.

Ok, I've solved my first problem ( I hope). There is another point of the guide that's not so easy to understand:

• Run "BackgroundDownloader.exe" to see if there is additional patch info
    only for the following patches:

wow-4.0.6.13596-to-4.0.6.13623
    wow-4.3.0.15050-to-4.3.2.15211
    wow-4.3.3.15354-to- and 
    • Make sure your tools are updated by checking "Launcher.exe", the version should be 4.2.1.2756.
      Run the tools updater if it isn't (don't run the launcher)
    • Copy the MFIL / TFIL from the collection you downloaded to the WoW root
      • Overwrite any that came with the patches
    • Run "backgrounddownloader.exe"
      • The first two will download approx. 7 GB, the last approx. 4 GB

I have to run the backgrounddownloader during the patching process (when i patch to the related version of mfil and tfil) or when I've completed the patching of my client (at version 4.3.4)?

I've already applied all the patches,but the backgroundownloader doesn't download anything (sorry for my english).

Maybe I had to launch the bd when I was patching the client to versions 4.0.6.13623,4.3.2.15211 and 4.3.4.15595...

• 2 weeks later...

ok... sorry in advance!

read the guide - DONE

read the guide again - DONE

check all the posts - DONE

search - DONE

I am trying to update the client from 3.3.5a to 4.3.4 and I'm struck at the second update...

my client is an enGB version, but I have already downloaded all the corresponding updates.

first update (the 5+gb) is ok,

second update (WoW-4.0.0-12911 to 4.0.1-13164-enGB-patch.exe) starts and then gives me the error "the update was cancelled - files appears to be corrupted, download it again"

downloaded again from different locations, same error...

at the end of the first update, it requires me to optimize the installation, tried with and without (nothing to lose, have a client backup)

run background downloader starts at 2.6Gb out of 6.7 downloading client update 16135-5.0.5 to 16309-5.1.0

run WoW.exe gives an error and cannot launch.

run launcher (again, nothing to lose) once it started once not...

any suggestion?

thank you in advance

The guide was created primarily for enUS because there was no torrent available with a full client. Your best option is to use one of the many enGB torrents that are out there (when I was searching for enUS, that's all I could find). With that said, here's a bit of an explanation of what's happening to you:

Running the launcher is a waste of time, it will screw you from the start. The launcher instantly migrates you to 5.x so stay away from it at all costs.

That optimization process you did as well as running the background downloader when you shouldn't has tried to migrate you to MoP (16135-5.0.5 to 16309-5.1.0). It appears you didn't understand the guide:

Run "BackgroundDownloader.exe" to see if there is additional patch info
only for the following patches:

wow-4.0.6.13596-to-4.0.6.13623
wow-4.3.0.15050-to-4.3.2.15211
wow-4.3.3.15354-to-4.3.4.15595

You said you ran it after WoW-4.0.0-12911 to 4.0.1-13164 which is clearly not what the guide says.

The problem with trying to get a 4.3.4 client now is the servers that blizzard hosted the patch data obtained by the background downloader are disappearing and clients are being redirected to an auto-migration to 5.x

yes, I read that part in the guide and at first I did followed, but since I have a backup start copy (3.3.5a) I tried all the different options that came to my mind including those stated as "never do".

does it mean that now I'm struck with a bunch of downloaded patches that I cannot apply and have to look for a new US client?

thank you again for your fast reply!