TrinityCore

Bountysource - get paid for fixes

Nay

Bountysource-green-712770df4397a3bc6f5b5

Good afternoon,

In an attempt to improve TC's quality and get issues fixed, TrinityCore has joined Bountysource, a crowdfunding platform for open source projects that allows users to place bounties on issues where the developers that fix the isue get the money from the bounty.

How does Bountysource work?

1. Users fund bounties on open issues or feature requests they want to see addressed.
  2. These users spread the word about the bounty, enticing developers to create a solution.
  3. Developers create solutions and claim the bounty on Bountysource.
  4. Backers can accept or reject the claim
  5. If accepted, Bountysource pays the bounty to the developer.

Why should we use Bountysource?

• Increase development. Encourage developers to submit quality pull requests more frequently by creating bounties on existing issues.
  • Close issues faster. Incentivize unpopular but necessary issues by adding higher bounties on them.
  • Earn money. Create solutions to open issues and claim bounties within any project (including your own).

(See the complete FAQ)

Fixing and reclaiming the bounty is not restricted to TC's official developers: anyone can propose a fix (usually by doing a pull request) and, if it is accepted, get the money reward.

With this change we do not intend to turn TC into a "pay 2 fix" project, this is just a way to give attention to the issues that are important to the community (chosen by the community, by putting money on the most pressing issues).

TrinityCore project on Bountysource: https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/1310-trinity-core

P.S The first bounty ($15) was placed yesterday in the issue  Phasing system is broken.

• Upvote 2

Please place a restriction on fixes that use Blizzard content. Getting paid for code that emulates their server is fine, but getting paid to use their content outright is just wrong.

So, for example, fixing the phasing system so that it works bizz like is OK, but fixing a quest with all the dialogs -- ehh -- that is just wrong. 

Obviously I have no say here anymore, but seriously, please consider it.

-- Brian

• Upvote 1

Please place a restriction on fixes that use Blizzard content. Getting paid for code that emulates their server is fine, but getting paid to use their content outright is just wrong.

So, for example, fixing the phasing system so that it works bizz like is OK, but fixing a quest with all the dialogs -- ehh -- that is just wrong. 

Obviously I have no say here anymore, but seriously, please consider it.

-- Brian

Everyone has a say here.

Regarding what you said, I do not think that  there's an issue. Everybody probably has a different definition of what is Blizzard's content and what isn't. I do not consider the tables `conditions`, `smart_scripts` or `creature_loot_template` to be Blizzard's IP. I also cannot see what's wrong if someone submits a fix (whatever fix it is, quest or not) and receiving money that someone else gave away.

• Upvote 2

Fixing and reclaiming the bounty is not restricted to TC's official developers: anyone can propose a fix (usually by doing a pull request) and, if it is accepted, get the money reward.

I'd like to stress out the fact that anyone can get the money reward, from the guy who just joined 5 minutes before to long-standing developers. What's more in the Open Source spirit than this ? :)

• Upvote 2

I don't see why you don't just do a kickstarter/gofundme campaign, and use the money collected to pay devs (existing, or new) to actually work on this project as if it were a real opensource project, still accepting fixes from the public (and, maybe even using this same system for those) but, having some actual management and direction?

And, actually, you could change the project just a bit, to get the core working with a MMO that is not WOW, as the paid part, and just happen to use that developed engine with the unpaid side project that just so happens to be capable of supporting at least one, if not many WOW client version(s)...

Interesting but here are a few questions:

1. Won't this draw Blizzard's ire?

It has been long accepted that Trinity flew under the radar because there was no money exchanging hands. In fact we traditionally rebuke illegal server operators and offer them no assistance setting up their servers.

Doesn't this now put Trinity in a sort of grey area? Developers / Contributors will be receiving money for working on a project that arguably violates the DMCA in how its sources were obtained.

2. What happens to rewards that are not claimed (eg: I fix something but don't want the money)? I didn't see anything in the FAQ regarding this.

3. What if more than one developer fixes something (eg: I work with Paradox and Malcrom to fix phasing)? I didn't see anything about multiple people claiming a bounty.

4. Can you tie Github to Bountysource? I see there's a link on the Bounty to "view on github" but there is no indication on a Github thread that there is an open bounty.

Perhaps add a tag called has-bounty (of course that means an admin will constantly need to search / manage Bountysource)

I do think it's an interesting idea but I'd hate for it to cause Trinity to get shut down because Blizzard overreacts.

Some questions are related to how Bountysource works, you can check https://www.bountysource.com/faq for answers. GitHub integration is supported but currently not working due to Bountysource issues.

Blizzard reaction has nothing to do with how much money TC contributors make but how much money Blizzard loses monthly due to people playing their game without paying them. Adding Bountysource doesn't affect Blizzard's income/losses.

Some questions are related to how Bountysource works, you can check https://www.bountysource.com/faq for answers. GitHub integration is supported but currently not working due to Bountysource issues.

Blizzard reaction has nothing to do with how much money TC contributors make but how much money Blizzard loses monthly due to people playing their game without paying them. Adding Bountysource doesn't affect Blizzard's income/losses.

I did read the FAQ and the answers were not there, hence why I asked.

It doesn't matter wether Blizzard loses money, just consider the videos taken down off YouTube by Nintendo for 5 seconds of audio, Nintendo isn't losing money off those. Copyright enforcement isn't only about money lost but also about others making money off your IP. In some cases a company won't enforce its IP if there is no money exchanging hands.

As I mentioned earlier, Trinity has always stood by the fact that illegal server operators are "bad" because they earn money. We are possibly entering into a grey area when we start paying "developers".

I guess in some regard it saddens me that people don't want to help / participate so we have to essentially start bribing them to fix things.

I don't understand why we could enter into a "grey area" just becouse someone will get paid for her/his work. There is nothing wrong with it.

I personally see something wrong with it. When I first heard of TC going to be on Bountysource I was fearing that we could go down that way, which is exactly not the core of TC. This could just make a negative side appearing, such as people like "why am I not paid for X, then I'll just sit on my ass not doing anything". I mean, I think that no money involved is the best part of TC.

• Upvote 1

I did read the FAQ and the answers were not there, hence why I asked.

It doesn't matter wether Blizzard loses money, just consider the videos taken down off YouTube by Nintendo for 5 seconds of audio, Nintendo isn't losing money off those. Copyright enforcement isn't only about money lost but also about others making money off your IP. In some cases a company won't enforce its IP if there is no money exchanging hands.

As I mentioned earlier, Trinity has always stood by the fact that illegal server operators are "bad" because they earn money. We are possibly entering into a grey area when we start paying "developers".

I guess in some regard it saddens me that people don't want to help / participate so we have to essentially start bribing them to fix things.

There's nothing wrong with being paid.

People get paid for other open sauce projects as well.

For example big companies like IBM, Intel, Google, actually pay employers to create open sauce code.

Think about the most famous and possibly the most important example: The Linux Kernel.

Who do you think write the bulk of the code there? Paid employees.

You have to realize that people who work, go to school, etc just couldn't possibly have the time that it takes to work enough on a large scale project, and contribute enough to make that project going.

As for the legal issues, and what you "stood by":

IMHO it was hypocrisy of the worst kind.

That's also one of the reasons why I suggested that they finally decide what they want to do.

You can't advertise that you are an educational MMORPG framework project while you are copycatting Blizzard.

Whether there's money involved or not, copycatting Blizzard is illegal in all jurisdictions where there are IP laws.

Not to mention the fact that just where do you expect to get proper bug reports if not from servers that run TrinityCore?

How do you propose it will be properly tested to see if it even works.

It's quite obvious that as long as content is developed there will be only one use case for it, and that is a wow private server.

DISCLAIMER:

I neither play wow or use Trinitycore, I'm just here to "troll". So I have no interest in TC going either way.

Interesting but here are a few questions:

1. Won't this draw Blizzard's ire?

It has been long accepted that Trinity flew under the radar because there was no money exchanging hands. In fact we traditionally rebuke illegal server operators and offer them no assistance setting up their servers.

Doesn't this now put Trinity in a sort of grey area? Developers / Contributors will be receiving money for working on a project that arguably violates the DMCA in how its sources were obtained.

2. What happens to rewards that are not claimed (eg: I fix something but don't want the money)? I didn't see anything in the FAQ regarding this.

3. What if more than one developer fixes something (eg: I work with Paradox and Malcrom to fix phasing)? I didn't see anything about multiple people claiming a bounty.

4. Can you tie Github to Bountysource? I see there's a link on the Bounty to "view on github" but there is no indication on a Github thread that there is an open bounty.

Perhaps add a tag called has-bounty (of course that means an admin will constantly need to search / manage Bountysource)

I do think it's an interesting idea but I'd hate for it to cause Trinity to get shut down because Blizzard overreacts.

1) Blizzard doesnt really care, if they really did, they would have made sure that all private servers are down already 

Sharing my personal experience fixing https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1412712-chat-channel-messages-lost-while-loading

I noticed there was a bounty an a quite interesting issue "Chat Channel messages lost while loading"

post-11459-0-12125200-1413581397_thumb.p

I started working on it, adding my findings to the github issue and pushed to my fork the initial work

post-11459-0-13912100-1413581513_thumb.p

To notify the backers I went to bountysource and clicked on "Get started" in the developers tab

post-11459-0-99226300-1413581682_thumb.p

Once I finished my fix I was able to push the fix directly and close the issue, otherwise contributors should open a PR and wait for it to be merged

post-11459-0-69271600-1413582013_thumb.p

Once the issue gets closed on github, you can claim the bounty on bountysource

post-11459-0-57175100-1413582127_thumb.p

The bounty will be paid if all backers accept or if they don't reject it between 2 weeks

post-11459-0-70589300-1413582172_thumb.p

While writing this post the backer accepted the fix as valid and bountysource awarded the bounty :D

post-11459-0-56049200-1413582931_thumb.p

Now all I have to do is find an issue I want to get fixed and put the money I earnt on it :)

post-11459-0-22716100-1413583041_thumb.p

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...