TrinityCore

why should I help develop TrinityCore?

whyamidead

but ArcEmu is very good

TrinityCore is very glitchy and does not have Lua

Nothing is perfect, both are glitchy at places. I would not say ArcEmu is less glitchy ..
And I could say that TC is more blizzlike and has more content than arcemu.
If you know a glitch, make an issue and something can be done about it if it is not yet known.

Both have lua. check out Eluna.

• Upvote 1

but on acweb they tell me arcemu is better.

:(

​You should probably test yourself.
Also maybe should have some points about what is better. "is better" is not really a proper argument.

Here are some points I just made up about TC:
active development
many custom patches
broad scripting capabilities through C++ and database as well
widely used
developed using static analysis and tools to detect threading issues and memory issues
server, database and scripts are developed by the same group and community (this is a good thing)
lots of content
blizzlike content as a goal
not branching too much - supporting two+? patches though
there is actually some API there instead of random SetUint32 values for everything, though there is some of that as well.

Edited by Rochet2
  • Upvote 1

Just to clear some things:

active development (agree)
widely used (result of active development)
many custom patches (result of widely used)
lots of content (result of widely used)
blizzlike content as a goal (This was a goal of arc too)
broad scripting capabilities through C++ and database as well (a result of active development and lots of content)
developed using static analysis and tools to detect threading issues and memory issues (agree)
not branching too much - supporting two+? patches though (don't see a plus here)
there is actually some API there instead of random SetUint32 values for everything, though there is some of that as well. (result of active development and lots of content)

server, database and scripts are developed by the same group and community (this is a good thing)
So iPhone is a good thing too :)

TC is active and arc is dead/in hibernation so it is simple the active development and all other points are a result of it.

Back in the days it was interesting how dev-teams solved the same problem different and that was a enrichment for the (wow)community.
It is impossible to compare current TC(2015) with arc(2011/2012) there are 3-4 "developmentyears" between them.

And I think Eluna was a result of the hibernation of arc...

Edited by Gambotscha

I have not seen patches for arcemu. Not that I have looked for some really so there might exist some .. But in like 5 years even seeing ~1 patches for one of the major emulators used doesnt sound like a whole lot was made ever.
Even before TC was born there were patches for mangos from which TC apparently is a fork of. I could be entirely wrong here so correct me if I am wrong ofcourse.To clari

To clarify what I meant with blizzlike..
Even if blizzlike content is a goal for most emulators .. emulating retail(durr), a lot of the data for example on some cataclysm databases and other are not blizzlike. What I mean for example is the spawns and waypoints and so on.
Im sure there is a lot of unverified data on TC as well, but quite some waypoint movement and spawn coordinates are not hand placed but sniffed from retail (or so they let me believe). Blizzlike is blizzlike once its only truely blizzlike, if you know what I mean :D
I actually worked on some cataclysm database some years ago. (skyfire DB most likely) I didnt add any spawns though, just worked on some scripts d:

The plus in not branching out is that the project does not fall apart. When a lot of things are supported it seems there is little development on any of them.
There is only so much "resources" to be used here. But you are right that its not really a plus not to support different things.

Pointing a lot of things on active development only would be like saying TC has been the only core having active development in the last ~5 years. (I realized this sounds like Im saying every point was directed to development, but thats not what I mean)
And if thats how it is, then that would be a pretty big reason to keep developing TC. And I see that was actually what you said in the end I guess.
Its true it might be hard to compare the two, could always take a leap back in the git history ;) though the codebases are very different.

The thing with having everything developed under the same groups of ppl makes the quality better since its never "someone else's job". The group can talk with each other and improve faster with no need for for example DB to catch up to the core changes. Sure there can be a group of ppl doing only DB work for example, but they would still be working on the same project.
Guess what you mean with iphone was android + samsung for example. There are some issues with phones like that and some guess it might be that the hardware is just not designed for the OS, which means Iphone would run better since it would have that (or nexus phone?). Dont have any real articles or data etc for that though : )

Eluna was not a result of the hibernation.
Eluna was created in 2011 or earlier - before arcemu went to hibernation.
It was more because there was no scripting language for mangos and TC based cores and they had gained more popularity...I think. The creators used arcemu and were used to having lua and then switched to mangos and TC and created lua since it wasnt there .. probably. I cant say why exactly it was originally created since I was not there creating it, just developing after creation and I dont have data about usage statistics :3

ps. The points were not exactly directed to be something other emulators than TC does not have. They were just some positive notes from the top of my head. I have not used arcemu in years and even then I just used some repack and coded in Lua.

Edited by Rochet2

ArcEmu is dead, history, gone ... forever. And miles away from TC. That's a fact and not to blame the nice guys from former ArcEmu team.

However, there are still people working on that branch of emulator. If somebody is interested have a look at http://www.ascemu.org/

I discussed with Zyres but still couldn't figure out why they are doing this work. For me it doesn't make any sense looking to the fact that TC is much better in any way.

• Upvote 1

ArcEmu is glitchless. ArcEmu is literally better than TrinityCore in every aspect. TrinityCore doesnt even have boss scripted properly in raids.

ArcEmu has gunship battle

​The thing is, that ArcEmu is dead, we are still alive. We have 90% of WOTLK content scripted properly, gunship battle as well. You should check it yourself and stop saying AC web comments. Also, if you don't like TC, I can't understand the goal of this topic. Tell me what do you want?

• Upvote 1

@whyamidead

Don't troll around here. You just don't have any inside knowledge about what your are speaking. I was long time with ArcEmu and the last active managed database for ArcEmu was from me and our team.

The last active development is years ago. You can't even use ArcEmu on a productive public server. The player will kill you. Most things are not working blizzlike, neither the game mechanics nor a lot of quests. Even the login system is not working properly, some combinations of usernames and passwords will be refused with an error. In the source code you can read why. If you can read source code. Lua is badly implemented, makes a lot of problems, spell system is not implemented at all in Lua. At the end nobody needs Lua, in TC there are different easy scripting systems.

TC is also in source code, database and stuff like map extractors much years ahead from ArcEmu. They make a lot of refactoring to hold up clean programming style and easier maintenance.

And once again, that's not to blame the formerly ArcEmu team. It's just a fact that active dev there has stopped long time ago.

If you are really interested in ArcEmu go to http://www.ascemu.org/. I'm sure your help will be appreciated.

ArcEmu is literally better than TrinityCore in every aspect.

Proof what you are talking about.

Edited by Magnuss
  • Upvote 1

@whyamidead

Don't troll around here. You just don't have any inside knowledge about what your are speaking. I was long time with ArcEmu and the last active managed database for ArcEmu was from me and our team.

The last active development is years ago. You can't even use ArcEmu on a productive public server. The player will kill you. Most things are not working blizzlike, neither the game mechanics nor a lot of quests. Even the login system is not working properly, some combinations of usernames and passwords will be refused with an error. In the source code you can read why. If you can read source code. Lua is badly implemented, makes a lot of problems, spell system is not implemented at all in Lua. At the end nobody needs Lua, in TC there are different easy scripting systems.

TC is also in source code, database and stuff like map extractors much years ahead from ArcEmu. They make a lot of refactoring to hold up clean programming style and easier maintenance.

And once again, that's not to blame the formerly ArcEmu team. It's just a fact that active dev there has stopped long time ago.

If you are really interested in ArcEmu go to http://www.ascemu.org/. I'm sure your help will be appreciated.

ArcEmu is literally better than TrinityCore in every aspect.

Proof what you are talking about.

​I'm not a troll your just a retard. I am paid as a developer because my code is so good. The code is 100% efficient and TrinityCore you cannot even Log in at all because it is so glitchy bad. "LOL GUYS WE HAVE RAIDS WORKING" well ArcEmu has every boss 100% working and is glitchless.