TrinityCore

335 to 6.x Character Converter?

MrSmite

This may have been asked but searching for "character convert" yielded several pages that seemed to have nothing to do with the question. Anyway, here goes...

When we moved from 335 to 434, there was no tool that I was aware of that would convert your existing characters to the new DB. Players had to reroll and start from scratch. Since Trinity still likes to do things as Blizz-like as possible, this definitely doesn't hit the mark.

Is anyone working on (or planning to work on) a method to convert existing 335 characters to 6.x characters? I know 6.x is still in early development but I think it would be a good idea to have a rudimentary tool (eg: use at your own risk) that could also be updated as new features are added to the 6.x codebase. I don't have any experience at all with WoD characters to know all the things that would need changing or I would start the project myself.

In fact, the lack of a tool is why I still use and develop 335.

Edited by MrSmite
  • Upvote 2

You could apply 4.3.4/6.x character db queries if you dig them out of sql/old to get an up-to-date structure without huge losses (but I do not recomment blindly taking them all as there might be a bunch of terribly thought out queries that drop data we actually still need (drop column/reintroduce later))

At this point it would probably be better to run some database structure diff tool and start from there - as for data that no longer makes sense (deleted spells/skills/whatever else) it was never done