Compile or cmake problems

Joy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CMake doesn't have a problem of source on one drive and project/compile on another. That's my exact situation. My C: drive has the build directory, but my source is on an aptly named S: drive. I don't think the multiple directories was a factor at all, but leftover files is certainly a possibility (especially with MicroSloth in the works).

Hi ,

I suspect from the error that the source directory was not set correctly in Cmake or Cmake was installed to D: along with the source files , If this is the case in windows you must set the flags in Cmake not just the directory .

If Cmake and source are installed to C: then Cmake by default looks for the source in that directory .

This may be the pitfalls of a windows install .

But after suggesting that the OP used only C: ,They have successfully compiled it in windows xp as I understand  , So I was correct about Cmake and the directories in windows .

I gave up with win7 64bit for the moment. in wxp 32bit everything worked fine compiling with VS2010 as I used to do in the past.

maybe this time something went wrong with the installation of some program, but after uninstall and install them back everything went fine. I noticed also that .NET 3.5 was not installed.

after cleaning win7 and reinstalling everything, errors are the same, so at the moment I'm not going to investigate the reasons... windows is still windows!

thank you to everyone!

problem partially solved!

The suggestion to only use C: also resulted in a completely fresh setup that would have cleared other problems, too (leftover files, corrupt settings, etc). If the PATH still had directories in it that existed but were mostly empty, CMake likely assumed the contents were all there. As I pointed out, CMake, compiler, and source are not required to be on the same drive for proper operation. If they can be separate, claiming that they mess up if not installed to the same drive is simply not going to be true.

Additionally, since there had been successful compilations in the past, it is easily seen that a simple configuration of where the source and build directories are was not the problem. I'm still thinking that the problem may have been tied to 32-bit Visual Studio being used on a 64-bit Windows. CMake might have seen a 64-bit OS and made the assumption that 64-bit compilers were available, thus it had errors. When a 32-bit Windows was used, suddenly it all worked like it used to.

actually, I tried compiling also in 64bit, but CMake refused to even start working, assuming that no 64bit were installed!

maybe can be, as said, a conflict between a 64bit OS and a 32bit program.

after everything went fine, I copied all the trinity folder to the 64bit OS and run from there, and it was (not so obviously, talking about windows... LOL) working!

anyway, I have always thought that xp was an "enough good system" and never wanted to move to win7 or win8, until recently when I had to reformat one pc and went on the win7 road.

and what happened now, confirm me that I was somehow right.

Totaly unrelated to windows 7, if you had used windows xp x64 you had the same problem.

maybe, but cannot be sure!

I have always been an apple user, since the first mac 128k, but moved to win for "some" reasons and never liked the win os, but among them I think (my 2 cents) that xp has been the most "stable", either 32 or 64.

maybe, but cannot be sure!

I have always been an apple user, since the first mac 128k, but moved to win for "some" reasons and never liked the win os, but among them I think (my 2 cents) that xp has been the most "stable", either 32 or 64.

Sorry to hear of your (forced?) downgrade. You would have been better off if you had done Linux.

• Upvote 1

sort of forced, but also my "fault"! anyway, now that I have much more free time, and some spare pc, I'll may give linux a try!

If you're familiar with the Terminal app on OSX, you're familiar with BSD (a flavor of unix). Linux may not be BSD, or even BSD-based, but it is very BSD-like. There's a lot of code that will compile for OSX and Linux with essentially no changes.

For a first time Linux user, I would suggest the Ubuntu distribution. That version has been worked on in an attempt to bring all the conveniences of Windows/OSX to a Linux installation. As with all things, there will be variances, but I think you'll find it to be a much more stable and powerful platform.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys

I've tried to make CMake do as it should for the past 2 hours.

It's been an infuriating process and I haven't gotten any further from when I started.

• I downloaded the Source from GIT.
  • I set up CMake so that Source Code points to F:/Trinity (where the repository was cloned to)
  • I set up CMake so that Build points to F:/Trinity/Build
  • I choose Visual Studio 10 and press Finish

I get the following errors:http://pastebin.com/QZLAjTZ8

I also tried directly pointing to cl.exe in the F:/Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0/VC/bin/cl.exe folder. Both for C and C++ and just C++ alone.

It gives me the following error http://pastebin.com/2DYGsG3X

Now here is what I have installed:

• GitExtensions
  • Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2010
  • CMake 2.8.12.1 32-bit
  • OpenSSL 1.0.1e 32-bit
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package x86 (it was either that or x64)
  • Microsoft Visual Studio SP 1

I have rebooted my computer several times.

I use Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition.

If there is anything else you need please let m know.

Hi ,

That is not  true what you have just stated in your post .

I appreciate that you posted. But you are not helping me at all right now.

Just sending me away. Not a very good first impression of the community in general :/

I'd appreciate if someone could try and help me instead as I've tried to make CMake work the past 2 hours without any luck.

Edited by Vipar

Hi ,

How would you like me to help ?

Silver Spoon ?

You need to read the Wiki , Believe me its not that hard ..

And I can compile this in all OS wither it Linux x32 or x64 or Windows x32 or x64

or and I hate this "MAC"

So your problem is ?

With out error logs from Cmake or VS , We can not help . We are not clairvoyant

And why do you noobies always use Directories above C:

Hi ,

How would you like me to help ?

Silver Spoon ?

You need to read the Wiki , Believe me its not that hard ..

And I can compile this in all OS wither it Linux x32 or x64 or Windows x32 or x64

or and I hate this MAC

So your problem is ?

I already stated what my problem is.

If you seriously believe that you can point me to a place in the Wiki that will magically solve my problem, please be my guest because I have run out of ideas. I didn't come her first thing and asked for help. I have already tried all I could think of. If you don't care to help people but just be arrogant why do you even bother posting in the first place?

Hi ,

Do you have OpenSSl installed?

As already stated:

Now here is what I have installed:

• GitExtensions
  • Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2010
  • CMake 2.8.12.1 32-bit
  • OpenSSL 1.0.1e 32-bit
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package x86 (it was either that or x64)
  • Microsoft Visual Studio SP 1

• Aokromes changed the title to Compile or cmake problems
  • Aokromes locked this topic
  • Carbenium unlocked this topic
  • Aokromes pinned and locked this topic
  • Aokromes featured and featured this topic
  • Aokromes pinned this topic