TrinityCore

Linux Server Crashes When User Logs In via WOW Client

vsx013

Looking for advice on where to start troubleshooting this.

Issue:  I compiled and installed 3.3.5 on two separate linux virtual machines.  I can start the authserv and worldserver and everything is fine.  When I go to login and create a character, the entire virtual machine locks up and crashes and requires a manual restart via ESXi.  Upon coming back, there are no logs written for any the Trinity logs and the system logs do not show anything as well.  Based on this, I think I"m running into kernel panic.  I copied my Windows WOW client folders onto the VM and ran the various extractors out and installed in the proper position.

Servers:
Debian 9 Testing - 4 cores, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB thin provisioned disk.
Ubuntu 17.10.1 - 4 cores, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB thin provisioned disk.

Looking for tips and advice on how to determine what is causing the issue.  My next step I'm going to take is to download a different 3.3.5 wow client and extract out the maps from that to see if it makes a difference.  That being said, I'm not hopeful given how the whole system gets FUBAR'd when trying to login.

Thanks,

Z

32 minutes ago, vsx013 said:

I did a fresh Debian 9 install in VMware workstation on my local machine and it's working.  So there's something about my ESXi hosting that is causing this issue.

Try to import the debian 9 install on ESXi to see if it works properly or it crashes, if it works it must be something on your hosting side, maybe custom kernel.

I think it has to do with the network adapter.

I changed it from VMXNET3 to E1000E and my server is now stable.  Previously I couldn't even get logged in without it completely locking up.

I have open-vm-tools installed on the virtual machines, so support for a VMXNET3 adapter should work -- but evidence suggests that something with it is causing an issue.  It shouldn't be a problem given that I am not using 10 GbE, but I believe support for anything over 1Gbps requires VMXNET3.