TrinityCore

MariaDB, what is that? Install Guide Debian 9

antiantianti

So, I've just installed my Linux Debian 9 Server, a few years ago I used to work with it, but my memory is completely erased.

I got a VPS, Linux Debian 9, installed the 3 lines from the Linux Requirements guide, been through Core Installation and at the end it tells me to remember the Root MySQL password I've installed: Wait what, I never installed mysql nor had I to enter anything

So I go back to the Installation Guide and see Ubuntu installs MySQL and Debian MariaDB, but why? Back when I used Debian 7 I worked with MySQL, is there a specific reason? And then again, why haven't I been to a point where I'm requested to enter my MySQL information

Edit: Just like on Windows you get to a point where u want to enter ur mysql user and ur password, I wasn't asked that

Thanks in advance

Edited by antiantianti

1 hour ago, antiantianti said:

So, I've just installed my Linux Debian 9 Server, a few years ago I used to work with it, but my memory is completely erased.

I got a VPS, Linux Debian 9, installed the 3 lines from the Linux Requirements guide, been through Core Installation and at the end it tells me to remember the Root MySQL password I've installed: Wait what, I never installed mysql nor had I to enter anything

So I go back to the Installation Guide and see Ubuntu installs MySQL and Debian MariaDB, but why? Back when I used Debian 7 I worked with MySQL, is there a specific reason? And then again, why haven't I been to a point where I'm requested to enter my MySQL information

Edit: Just like on Windows you get to a point where u want to enter ur mysql user and ur password, I wasn't asked that

Thanks in advance

mariadb replaced mysql on debian 9.

Other than that is has the exact same features?

And then again, how comes I've never gotten to a point where I was requested to enter any root user information, I followed the requirements and installation guide exactly until make -install and saw the topic "Install MySQL" and there was only a single text saying "Make sure to remember your root user password from the installed MySQL Server"

• 5 weeks later...

Having problems with cmake under mariadb.

I keep getting this error:

CMake Error at cmake/macros/FindMySQL.cmake:237 (message):
  Could not find the MySQL libraries! Please install the development
  libraries and headers

So if it's calling for MySQL libraries that means there has to be libraries under mariadb for MySQL, right?

Got it fixed. Was missing the libmariadbclient-dev. Once installed worked like a champ.