TrinityCore

"unknown column" "missing table" "duplicate column" error / sql problems / SQLDriverLogFile < answer on 1st post of 1st page

Apple

As simply put as I can list it:

1. clone and compile latest core from branch 4.3.4
  2. create the databases as listed in the guide, but do NOT apply auth and characters updates
  3. import the Alpha TDB 434.05 but do not start the servers yet
  4. copy the world updates from the TDB and TC 4.3.4 repositories to a common directory and merge them (to have them applied in, hopefully, correct order)
  5. assuming step 4 succeeded, you should now be clear to fire up authserver and worldserver

I suggest the merging of the world updates before combining them is because certain tables have changed at times. In theory, the combined updates will work without errors. The auth and characters updates shouldn't be needed for new installs.

As simply put as I can list it:

1. clone and compile latest core from branch 4.3.4
  2. create the databases as listed in the guide, but do NOT apply auth and characters updates
  3. import the Alpha TDB 434.05 but do not start the servers yet
  4. copy the world updates from the TDB and TC 4.3.4 repositories to a common directory and merge them (to have them applied in, hopefully, correct order)
  5. assuming step 4 succeeded, you should now be clear to fire up authserver and worldserver

I suggest the merging of the world updates before combining them is because certain tables have changed at times. In theory, the combined updates will work without errors. The auth and characters updates shouldn't be needed for new installs.

And following point 4 you will delete random things that you don't must delete.

Thanks a lot! Just dragged all of the updates and merged them together, imported all of them with only a few errors. Only one issue I'm having now -- once I'm in-game and I try to talk nothing happens, something with an Opcode for CMSG/SMSG?

No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_QUERY_BATTLEFIELD_STATE 0x7202 (29186)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_GUILD_SET_ACHIEVEMENT_TRACKING 0x1027 (4135)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_REQUEST_CEMETERY_LIST 0x720A (29194)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
Prevented sending disabled opcode [SMSG_GM_MESSAGECHAT 0x6434 (25652)] to [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]

Thanks for the help <3

Edited by reppz

And following point 4 you will delete random things that you don't must delete.

That's likely why there have been requests for a TDB 434.06 that is more up to date. It may be easier to merely copy the appropriate updates to the TDB repository, so there's only 1 set of updates to apply. The world updates from 2 locations are where a lot of people seem to run into trouble.

Thanks a lot! Just dragged all of the updates and merged them together, imported all of them with only a few errors. Only one issue I'm having now -- once I'm in-game and I try to talk nothing happens, something with an Opcode for CMSG/SMSG?

No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_QUERY_BATTLEFIELD_STATE 0x7202 (29186)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_GUILD_SET_ACHIEVEMENT_TRACKING 0x1027 (4135)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
No defined handler for opcode [CMSG_REQUEST_CEMETERY_LIST 0x720A (29194)] sent by [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]
Prevented sending disabled opcode [SMSG_GM_MESSAGECHAT 0x6434 (25652)] to [Player: Reppz (Guid: 1, Account: 1)]

Thanks for the help <3

No interaction sounds like an unpatched client. Were you able to log out or did you have to terminate the client process? If you see something about being a possible cheater, that's a sure sign of the client needing to be patched.

Also, there are a lot of currently unimplemented opcodes, so the ones you pasted are nothing new or game breaking. Certain functionality will be missing, though.

That's likely why there have been requests for a TDB 434.06 that is more up to date. It may be easier to merely copy the appropriate updates to the TDB repository, so there's only 1 set of updates to apply. The world updates from 2 locations are where a lot of people seem to run into trouble.

No interaction sounds like an unpatched client. Were you able to log out or did you have to terminate the client process? If you see something about being a possible cheater, that's a sure sign of the client needing to be patched.

Also, there are a lot of currently unimplemented opcodes, so the ones you pasted are nothing new or game breaking. Certain functionality will be missing, though.

I'm able to log in and out fine, I'm able to do anything apart from type in commands or talk, I can use emotes though. I just tried it with two other clients and the same issue. Originally I had a fresh client that I used to extract all of the maps/vmaps and DBC files from, so I'm not sure if that could be affecting anything. 

I'm able to log in and out fine, I'm able to do anything apart from type in commands or talk, I can use emotes though. I just tried it with two other clients and the same issue. Originally I had a fresh client that I used to extract all of the maps/vmaps and DBC files from, so I'm not sure if that could be affecting anything. 

Ok, so it isn't an interaction problem. I misunderstood the problem you were describing, I guess.

Anyway, I have noticed an issue with the new chat processing code. No GM commands show anything in the chat window, but the commands perform their action. Even a simple ".help" results in nothing being displayed. I hadn't even thought to try a normal "/say" or similar. Whispers may be broken, from what you're saying. All I can say is that code is being merged from the master branch that isn't 100% operational in the 4.3.4 branch. We may have to give these guys some time to iron out the issues.

4.3.4 branch is for development and people knowing what to do, no for random people trying to build private servers.

• Upvote 2

4.3.4 branch is for development and people knowing what to do, no for random people trying to build private servers.

Luckily, for the most part, that makes me qualified. Although, it sort of is a private server (for 2 players only) that I mess with. We shall really see if I "know what to do" after my current recompile (assuming the yellow ? is still missing from quest givers).

This doesn't make sense to me. I could understand if there was a 434 guide and people couldn't follow it but keeping the process a secret does nothing good for the project.

There are probably people who would contribute if they could get a server running but not being able to do so should not automatically negate their ability to help.

• Upvote 1

This doesn't make sense to me. I could understand if there was a 434 guide and people couldn't follow it but keeping the process a secret does nothing good for the project.

There are probably people who would contribute if they could get a server running but not being able to do so should not automatically negate their ability to help.

In theory, if they were capable of contributing to the project, they would also be able to take the guide (such as it is) and get a server running. In my opinion (possibly shared by many others), the inability to set up a working server is a fairly solid indication that contributions are unlikely to come from that individual.

C++, even plain C, is much harder than running sql files in the appropriate order. Or, for that matter, following the steps in a guide for proper installation of support libraries, obtaining the core source, and compiling it.

When I loaded your world.sql I got this:

[1054] Unknown column 'attackpower' in 'field list'
Your database structure is not up to date. Please make sure you've executed all queries in the sql/updates folders.

Revision error maybe?

Referring to my world.sql? Which core are you running? What's the revision?

Congrats, for sure you deleted cata only spawns on your database, or added scripts to incorrect mobs.

Secret? what secret, it's the same way as 3.3.5a, but when using them on 4.3.4 branch needs to check the guids. Also, there is a guide, but people ignores it and tries to update the server to head, when it's stated to stay on 14d80d2

In theory, if they were capable of contributing to the project, they would also be able to take the guide (such as it is) and get a server running. In my opinion (possibly shared by many others), the inability to set up a working server is a fairly solid indication that contributions are unlikely to come from that individual.

C++, even plain C, is much harder than running sql files in the appropriate order. Or, for that matter, following the steps in a guide for proper installation of support libraries, obtaining the core source, and compiling it.

Totally agree, people unable to run updated core are very likely unable to contribute, because running sql without knowledge can mean they will report un-existing bugs (for example, people unable to speak few months ago).

not to make things bigger, but to take side of newbies and MrSmite

when it's stated to stay on 14d80d2

actually the guide says:

...look at the top of that list, you should see something like "Sync with TrinityCore/TrinityCore@14d80d2". Does the string after the "@" symbol match your server version? If yes, GREAT! If no, see Revision Matching below.

"something like" doesn't mean "stay on" and in that page you can find "sync with TrinityCore/ff3524f"

people who could help the project can be also people who just test their own server and find errors like what beta testers do.

if they wanted to make a server just to play, why not just join one of those free working servers that can be found online?

just my two cents

In fact TDB 4.3.4 instalation guide have:

Because the TDB 4.3.4 is not always updated, usually you cannot use latest core revision:

If the last sync commit in the TDB 4.3.4 repository is "Sync with TrinityCore/12345example" in the core repository you have to execute

git checkout 12345example

And again 4.3.4 is NOT intended for newbies, it's for developers with knowledge of what they are doing, not to make private servers.

TrinityCore ff3524f, and 14d80d2, and the newest pull. All three errored out with world.sql.

Well, try this:

1. shutdown worldserver (assuming it was running)
  2. recreate world DB with the world.sql (because having run worldserver will effect this next step)
  3. load sql client (i.e. HeidiSQL) and check the version table in the world DB
  4. check TC and TDB 434 commits and execute any updates since that revision
  5. relaunch worldserver

I think it's disingenuous to say that people who can't get a server running probably have nothing to contribute. There just might be people out there that are C++ developers who don't know SQL.

Those people may stumble on TrinityCore some day and be interested in contributing to the 434 repo. Unfortunately none of their PRs would be accepted because they can't be tested if the person doesn't understand how to get the server running.

This project would do itself a favor if people weren't so easily tossed into the idiot bin.

PS:

By "secret", I was referring to past forum postings where people asked for a better guide and the answer was along the lines of: "it's a development branch, figure it out".

I think it's disingenuous to say that people who can't get a server running probably have nothing to contribute. There just might be people out there that are C++ developers who don't know SQL.

So, what you're saying is that SQL is trickier than C++? I have to disagree. I may have to refresh my memory on certain syntax for SQL, but there are aspects of C++ that make me scratch my head (and a web search doesn't help clear it up). Can I program? You bet I can, but I'd written C applications that some people just "knew" were written in C++ because of how they operated.

The point is, if they cannot type in very simple web searches to make sense of SQL error messages or even correct a syntax error, there is an extremely low chance that they would be capable of offering acceptable C++ code. That isn't to say those users are stupid, they are just not capable of being useful beyond trouble reports (aka issue tickets).

Let's equate C++ to a jet (or commercial pilot) and SQL as a car (having a driver's license). If someone can only drive a car, would you want them flying a passenger jet? Not without a license, I bet. However, a licensed pilot would almost certainly be capable of driving a car, too. Would you really trust a pilot that couldn't drive a car?

So, what you're saying is that SQL is trickier than C++? I have to disagree.

No, I didn't say that at all. However, there are some people who can program C++ who don't understand SQL and vice versa. They are two different technologies and proficiency in one does not require proficiency in the other.

The point is, if they cannot type in very simple web searches to make sense of SQL error messages or even correct a syntax error, there is an extremely low chance that they would be capable of offering acceptable C++ code. That isn't to say those users are stupid, they are just not capable of being useful beyond trouble reports (aka issue tickets).

The inability to decipher SQL errors is irrelevant to the potential quality of C++ contributions.

Let's equate C++ to a jet (or commercial pilot) and SQL as a car (having a driver's license). If someone can only drive a car, would you want them flying a passenger jet? Not without a license, I bet.

This is irrelevant since a person can't fly a passenger jet legally without a pilot's license, however a person who doesn't know SQL can still program C++.

However, a licensed pilot would almost certainly be capable of driving a car, too. Would you really trust a pilot that couldn't drive a car?

That's like not trusting a cruise ship captain because he can't pilot a submarine. It's irrelevant anyway since a pilot (in the US) is required to have a valid driver's license.

The whole point of my post was simple: Just because a person is terrible at A, doesn't mean they're terrible at B. For example: A person who can't read a map might still be a good driver. To discount people simply because of a preconceived notion that they must have all skills for any skills to be valuable is not very productive.

There are already standards to weed out people who program poorly. Not being able to get the server running shouldn't be an added roadblock.

Reading a map and driving are completely different concepts. I certainly wouldn't trust that driver on a trip, anyway. This project is NOT a matter of a trip around the block. The scale of this project is more like a cross country trip that uses back roads only. Nobody is going to hold their hand and type the code for them. If so, it's not their code but the other person's code.

Reading a map and driving are completely different concepts. I certainly wouldn't trust that driver on a trip, anyway. This project is NOT a matter of a trip around the block. The scale of this project is more like a cross country trip that uses back roads only. Nobody is going to hold their hand and type the code for them. If so, it's not their code but the other person's code.

Reading a map and driving are not completely different concepts, one is a tool to make the other easier. The inability to use the tool doesn't completely negate the ability to perform the task.

Anyway, SQL and C++ are two different languages. Lack of knowledge in one does not automatically mean lack of knowledge in the other.

Regardless, I can render the entire argument invalid because even I have trouble getting a 434 server running yet I seem quite capable of providing code patches.

PS:

Honestly, which do you think is better for TrinityCore:

• Option 1
    • User: I have a patch to fix pets falling off boats but I can't get my 434 server running to test it
    • Community: Oh well, if you can't get your server running your patch is probably worthless
  • Option 2
    • User: I have a patch to fix pets falling off boats but I can't get my 434 server running to test it
    • Community: We'd love to have a patch for that, let's help you get your server running

The fact that 434 is in "alpha" is irrelevant. Open source projects are always in a state of development.

Reading a map is not a tool specifically for driving. Maps are used for many other things, too. The 2 concepts are simply separate with neither requiring the other to be of use. They may work together, but that's it. With your logic, then you and anyone else unable to get the 4.3.4 server really have no business altering the code and expecting it to be accepted into the project. The Internet is a tool (just like your map argument), and that means anyone with half a brain can use that tool to figure out how easy SQL is understand.

So, you code C++. Are you good enough that code you wrote has been added to the core? Or is that why you're so upset with anyone that says "if you can't set up your own server, you don't need to submit code"? Personally, I find Option 1 to be more appropriate. You may not like to have that said (over and over), but the main developers have enough going on that they don't need to have tons of patches that need MAJOR work for them to be useful in the core.

A repack developer claims to be someone who is awesome in programming ability. They even claim to only do things the correct way, but I pointed out the incorrect operation of several things in their repack (most of which was something they added, too). The reason those same changes weren't added to Trinity is because they were so blatantly not correctly done. Community supported projects are not required to accept every submission. Those in control of the project have the right to reject anything they find undesirable. That contributor is free to fork the project and apply their own fixes, but not free to attack someone because they rejected your submission (for any reason).

...and for sure someone who can't compile C++ and cannot understand SQL properly can point out that if you do that action in that place in that circumstance can cause a crash, that maybe is caused by a simple mistake made by someone who can compile C++ and understand SQL, but didn't check is job carefully.

I still think that if someone wants to play wow, would just register at one of those free private servers online and not spend time on making his private server and play with, let's say 4? 5? friends and meet the chance to get struck in a not working quest or bad/not scripted area.