TrinityCore

[HowTo] Patch from 3.3.5.12340 to 4.3.4.15595 (UPDATED 2014-01-24)

MrSmite

im not so sure i did that for the tools for the dvd. i checked the version info for wow and it said 4.0.0, not 5x.

and i got all the way to 4.3.4 and applied the client patch you provided CDawg then started wow. and that was when i got the "cannot stream required arcive data" error. i already started re copying the .tfil and .mfil files and running the background downloader again. we shall see what happens after its all done

You should never let the Launcher run, period. It will update the tools which include Backgrounddownloader and Blizzard Updater among others. There are updated tools in the guide I wrote which can be used at the very end of the process.

ah, but on default when installing cata the launcher runs immediately after the install finishes, and to install cata you have to have internet (why is beyond me) so UNLESS you can kill your internet before it runs (or modify your hosts file properily before the install finishes, which i havent even looked into what is needed to block launcher in hosts) it starts downloading tools immediately.......

anyways we shall see if just exiting the launcher before the tools download is complete will work....i have high hopes at this time, cause the first time i did this guide, running blizzard updater from the command prompt for the *final.mpq files didnt do much......my first patch this time took 45 mins to complete while writing a BUNCH of data.

The launcher can run at any phase and start to download/stream tools and run them. Even if the launcher isn't complete or at 10% or whatever it may be, files will start to get updated to Blizzards latest patches, tools, scripting system, etc..

In fact, (this part doesn't relate to you) but... Some players have had a perfectly running and healthy 434(15595) client running for a very long time, and became curious by running the Launcher (God knows why they did that), but at any rate, before it got to 5% it had already corrupted the client and the player is now doomed to start all over again.

• Upvote 1

hey CDawg, i dont suppose you know the exact line i need to put in my hosts file to block the launcher, cause im comming up with a blank with multiple google searches and forum searches.....

well, i spoke too soon about my first patch....it errored out cause i messed up.....when i went to reinstall i forgot to recopy my wrath install to my cata directory.....

long story short, i redid the whole thing again, and this time as the dvd installer finished i shut off my wifi so that the launcher couldnt connect.....MUHAHAHA

first patch still wrote a bunch of stuff, instead of completing almost immediately...

127.0.0.1            us.version.worldofwarcraft.com eu.version.worldofwarcraft.com launcher.worldofwarcraft.com launcher.wow-europe.com status.wow-europe.com logon.worldofwarcraft.com us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

This is the whole line I use in my hosts file.

• Upvote 1

Actually it is fine to revert back as long as you use the "most recent" one you can find.

yeah, I guess it depends where he left off, or how far he patched up to, or maybe even the streaming part. Anyways.. I renamed my current base-win and renamed it base-win.old, then placed the base-win.mpq from the patch zip package. Interestingly... I get the cannot stream content error..

I renamed my base-win.old back to its original name and I can now get into the client.

When Blizzard decides to turn off the akamai/lielight storage servers, enUS is all doomed. I'm curious to know why the enGB is all over the place. Some websites are even allowing a full download of the client. I'm shocked... Does the enGB not have some disclaimer or have some rules that bend vs enUS edition?

yeah, I guess it depends where he left off, or how far he patched up to, or maybe even the streaming part. Anyways.. I renamed my current base-win and renamed it base-win.old, then placed the base-win.mpq from the patch zip package. Interestingly... I get the cannot stream content error..

I renamed my base-win.old back to its original name and I can now get into the client.

I just recently finished patching and after the 4.3.4 patch I ran the downloader. It downloaded 11 GB without any complaints, bringing my final client to 20.9 GB.

I haven't logged into my server yet though to see what, if anything, the client streams. I'm thinking it won't because I think those rumors of a 23 GB client are exaggerated.

When Blizzard decides to turn off the akamai/lielight storage servers, enUS is all doomed. I'm curious to know why the enGB is all over the place. Some websites are even allowing a full download of the client. I'm shocked... Does the enGB not have some disclaimer or have some rules that bend vs enUS edition?

Maybe copyright issues? I know other countries are a bit loose with their copyright laws to which the US has been bullying the rest of the world about.

The upcoming (and secretive) Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) is poised to make that change. There are stipulations that other countries must bring their copyright laws in line with the US in order to keep doing business...

The TPP Will Rewrite Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement

All signatory countries will be required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the US, this is likely to further entrench controversial aspects of US copyright law

Well i figured out what i needed to do, silly me didnt run the tools updater that the guide tells you to do.....

ive actually had to completely restart the process like 10 times in the last few days cause i didnt catch the launcher fast enough and it started to download tools. now im not positive and im not going to screw with my client checking, but is it possible that the tools it downloads are the same ones in the tools archive linked in the guide?

at the moment im kinda stalled....silly me moved the script from the big update(the ~1.5gb one) instead of copying it, so now i have to redownload it just to get the script......

out of curiosity, is there any major differences between enUS and enGB

Well i figured out what i needed to do, silly me didnt run the tools updater that the guide tells you to do.....

ive actually had to completely restart the process like 10 times in the last few days cause i didnt catch the launcher fast enough and it started to download tools. now im not positive and im not going to screw with my client checking, but is it possible that the tools it downloads are the same ones in the tools archive linked in the guide?

at the moment im kinda stalled....silly me moved the script from the big update(the ~1.5gb one) instead of copying it, so now i have to redownload it just to get the script......

out of curiosity, is there any major differences between enUS and enGB

I know that they are both English, hehe. But there still might be some disclosure differences betweeen the two client. I didnt load enGB and read through that you cant use the enGB client in the US. Who knows it might be like what MrSmite says about the US bullying its way to only use a enUS edition, but Oh well...

As for the tool updater, no, you shouldnt download the latest tools from Blizzard, either from the launcher. Just install the patches on the fresh 4.0.1 copy and use the backgrounddownlader that reads the TFIL & MFIL files for streaming the content. That's really all that you need to do. As for the backgrounddownloader, use the updated ones from the patches, dont download any updated tools.

There are only minor language differences between enUS and enGB, idk why you ppl try that hard to get enUS client when enGB client can do the job for you, i used enUS client on european realms without problems and i know of people that used frFR client on american realmds.

There are only minor language differences between enUS and enGB, idk why you ppl try that hard to get enUS client when enGB client can do the job for you, i used enUS client on european realms without problems and i know of people that used frFR client on american realmds.

What do you mean by "you people"?

Haha, im j/k Aokromes ;)

For me, I already have Classic, TBC, WotLK and Cata (enUS) on CDs and DVDS so it just makes sense. I can't take an existing enUS WotLK and apply enGB patches and I don't need to download the full client. Essentially all I need is a binary diff of 3.3.5 and 4.3.4 (ie: a patch).

Besides, I think there is more than just minor language differences. Otherwise the only patches that would get a specific enUS / enGB distinction would be the various locales*.mpq, everything else would just be called "windows" or "mac".

ok, finished patching, and no errors, but when i attempt to execute wow.exe i get the cannot stream required patch data issue......

Do you have the latest mfil and/or tfil in the root directory? you should have the 15595 tfil/mfil file in order to launch the app, than there is more data to stream once the client has been launched and you are in the game.

ok, finished patching, and no errors, but when i attempt to execute wow.exe i get the cannot stream required patch data issue......

Did you run backgrounddownloader.exe after the final 434 patch? You should have about 11gb of data to download.

Incidentally I just ran my 20 GB client and connected to my Trinity server. I created one of each character and logged in and when I exited the game my client had shrunk:

Before running: 20.9 GB (22,516,212,269 bytes)

After running: 15.8 GB (17,053,306,389 bytes)