TrinityCore

[HowTo] Patch from 3.3.5.12340 to 4.3.4.15595 (UPDATED 2014-01-24)

MrSmite

+alysher

I've seen that method mentioned on another forum and I thnk +CDawg might have tried it as well. The method that I'm using does not stream any additional data and the wow folder is more than 20 GB before launch. Most likely the 6 GB you're streaming is what would be obtained via the patch / BGD method.

When I finish, I will try your method and then hash all the files to see if they're identical.

Note:

I remember one of the ways I tried resulted in that same "Performing initial setup" but I don't remember what I did to get that and I haven't seen it since. Also, with that version of the client I would see messages on the loading screens like "Since this is your first time playing this race, it may take a while to load. Please wait..." and internet activity would be present.

Ok, so I finished patching and ended up with a 20 GB client. I ran it and it shrunk to 15 GB and now it's downloading something without me being logged in. All the MPQ files have "lock" files so we'll see how long this takes and what the final result is.

This is strange...

I let the client run for several hours and when I noticed the internet activity had stopped I closed it. There was this "placeholdertemp" file in the Data folder that was about 2.5 GB. Problem is, the client doesn't start anymore, it says "can't stream required patch data". Also, it replaced my MFIL file with MoP.

This is strange...

I let the client run for several hours and when I noticed the internet activity had stopped I closed it. There was this "placeholdertemp" file in the Data folder that was about 2.5 GB. Problem is, the client doesn't start anymore, it says "can't stream required patch data". Also, it replaced my MFIL file with MoP.

Holy shit... maybe it has begun..., It is easily possible that Blizzard can now slip something in the old/outdated stream servers and do some replacement or manipulation that will now just take the client straight to version 5+

I'm going to make several backups and then try to stream another 434 client and see what happens.

FYI: That "placeholderArchive.temp" is 2.78 GB and when you open it in WinHEX it's nothing but zeros.

The "can't stream" error may have been my fault because I did forget to change the "patchlist" entry in the WTF to my server. Luckily I made a backup so I'm trying again.

Incidentally, when I was in Northshire I noticed the indicator said I was 80% downloaded.

Edit:

Hmm, wonder if this is actually used anymore:

[Downloader]

directDownloadThreshold=3500000

[DownloaderFast]

directDownloadThreshold=7000000

[backgroundDownloader]

directDownloadThreshold=10000

[PortDefaultValues]

minPort=6881

maxPort=6999

I was looking for which file saves the choices you set in the Launcher but this is all I could find. I wanted to see if it defaulted to "download while playing" without actually starting the launcher.

Edit 2:

This one's weird. The links are 404 but it still says "success". I guess Blizzard has a different idea of success than I do.

03:08:02.7130 No local replacement installer.

03:08:02.7130 TryDownloadableReplacement

03:08:02.7136 Set ConnectingToInstallerServerReplacement = true

03:08:02.7136 Checking new installer start.

03:08:02.7146 Looking for replacement installer information at 'http://us.battle.net/static/installer/CAT/4482-Win-enUS.txt'.

03:08:02.8124 Looking for replacement installer information at 'http://us.installers.blizzard.com/installer/CAT/4482-Win-enUS.txt'.

03:08:02.9503 Checking new installer succeeded.

03:08:02.9503 Set ConnectingToInstallerServerReplacement = false

03:08:02.9503 Check InstallerCheckingLoaded

03:08:02.9503 Don't need to load InstallerPage.xml

03:08:03.0177 Loading InstallerChecking.xml start.

03:08:03.7289 Loading InstallerChecking.xml done.

MrSmite, I was just wondering if you had seen this before and if you may have tried it.

http://akira6968.prophpbb.com/topic27.html

Yes I saw that. Yes I experimented with it.

It's still not a complete client. The manifest downloaded by using the manifest_partial parameter in wow.mfil is not a complete client. It only contains a handful of MPQs in the "Data" and "DataenUS" folder. None of the MPQs in the "DataCache" folder (such as SoundCache-1, SoundCache-2, etc.) are downloaded in the method above and there are a few patches that create and modify those files.

Bottom line is, when you apply the various patches and then use BackgroundDownloader.exe to check for remaining data, several MPQs get modified that are not included in the download list created by that method above. Sure you could probably stream that while logged into the game but that's much, much slower.

I've had my client running for 12 hours and have been using PostMessage() (from the windows API) to make my character move every 30 seconds so I won't get AFK logged out. In 12 hours I've gone from 78% done to 82% done.

Update:

It was reported that "placeholderArchive.temp" is a bug in the tools (Launcher, BackgroundDownloader.exe, etc.) that appeared around the "2650" revision of the tools, sometime in early 2012. Supposedly it was fixed in a tools update from 14 march 2012 but I can't seem to find those tools.

All the tools updaters I have cause this "bug":

• wow-4.2.1.2706-enUS-tools-patch.exe
  • wow-4.2.1.2736-enUS-tools-patch.exe
  • wow-4.2.1.2756-enUS-tools-patch.exe

Every time I close WoW, I end up with a 1.8 GB temp file full of zeros.

Edit:

After watching this file in Process Monitor, only WoW.exe and "System" interact with it. The bug appears to be in WoW.exe itself. The strange thing is it's deleted when WoW.exe starts and created when it closes and it's full of NULLs.

Wow.exe     CreateFile	                                	SUCCESS	Desired Access: Read Attributes, Delete, Disposition: Open, Options: Non-Directory File, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
Wow.exe	    QueryAttributeTagFile	                    	SUCCESS	Attributes: A, ReparseTag: 0x0
Wow.exe	    SetDispositionInformationFile               	SUCCESS	Delete: True
Wow.exe	    CloseFile	                                	SUCCESS	
System	    CreateFileMapping	                        	SUCCESS	SyncType: SyncTypeOther
System	    FASTIO_RELEASE_FOR_SECTION_SYNCHRONIZATION		SUCCESS	
Wow.exe	    CreateFile	                                	SUCCESS	Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Created
Wow.exe	    CreateFile	                                	SUCCESS	Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: , Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
Wow.exe	    SetEndOfFileInformationFile	                	SUCCESS	EndOfFile: 1,536,281,579
Wow.exe	    SetAllInformationFile	                    	SUCCESS	AllocationSize: 1,536,281,579
Wow.exe	    ReadFile	                                	SUCCESS	Offset: 0, Length: 4,096, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O
System	    ReadFile	                                	SUCCESS	Offset: 4,096, Length: 65,536, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O
System	    CreateFileMapping	                        	SUCCESS	SyncType: SyncTypeOther
System	    FASTIO_RELEASE_FOR_SECTION_SYNCHRONIZATION  	SUCCESS	

Ok, so I think I figured out what that placeholderArchive.temp file is actually for:

• Starting with a cleanly patched 4.3.4 with no backgrounddownloader.exe run during patching, the TEMP file was 14GB which was identical to how much backgrounddownloader.exe said I needed when I ran it after exiting WoW.

• Starting with a cleanly patched 4.3.4 where backgrounddownloader.exe was run once during patching (downloaded 8 GB), the TEMP file was 7GB which was identical to how much backgrounddownloader.exe said I needed when I ran it after exiting WoW.

• Starting with a cleanly patched 4.3.4 where backgrounddownloader.exe was run twice during patching (downloaded 14 GB), the TEMP file was 2GB. In this case, backgrounddownloader.exe said I was finished however the game indicated I was streaming and 83% finished.

Therefore, given the following:

• The file is deleted when WoW.exe starts
  • The file is created when WoW.exe closes
  • The file size shrinks each time
    • Because WoW.exe is streaming while you play
  • The file is full of NULLs

one can logically infer that this file is simply there to make sure that you reserve enough disk space for the next time you run WoW.

If you used all your disk space installing other programs, WoW wouldn't be able to stream whatever remaining data you need. This is why the size is consistent with how much data you have remaining.

• Upvote 1

I give up! I have downloaded over 90GIGs worth of useless info for one file!! They all come up either corrupted, or larger than the the file size is suppose to actually be, or won't complete to the point where the part file becomes the zip or rar file. All the rest of the patches I got no problem, it's just this one wow-3.3.x-to-4.0.0.12911. Don't know why it's such a pain in the buttocks to download. I have tried different download methods, different locations where it's loaded at, and they all still come up screwed up somehow. I have tried using JDownloader, DownThemAll, and the normal save file as through the browser.

AH-HA! Found a place that actually has a torrent for that patch only.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_64734.shtml

Click on the download button, it takes you to another page. Where it says "Your download is ready...", look under that link, it gives an option to download as a torrent. Pretty good speed so far as well.

+Billy

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/88351/world-of-warcraft-patch-3-3-x-to-4-0-0-full-usa

I'll be updating the guide soon (just comparing results with +CDawg) and will update the link in the OP. You can find additional mirrors at http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors if you search the page for the following:

4.0.0.12911 Parts 1-4 — Full (~4.9-5.3 GiB)

So ,at what point to you allow a blizzard connection to go through the firewall?

When all patches and "backgrounddownloader" streams are done.

I'll be updating the guide with a TFIL so you don't have to stream using WoW.exe but in the interim...

If you set the "realmlist" and "patchlist" values in realmlist.wtf to your private server, you need to let WoW.exe connect to Blizzard's servers to finish streaming. Also, make sure the 15595 TFIL and MFIL are in the WoW directory.

If you leave "patchlist" set to the real blizzard servers then WoW.exe will start Launcher.exe and screw everything up, so don't do that.

Edit:

Contrary to popular opinion, the final client size is NOT, I repeat NOT 23 GB. Several patches delete old, unused MPQs (such as the 2 GB "OldWorld.MPQ") and the client performs optimizations while it's streaming. You should end up with a client of around 15.8 GB when all is done. I've confirmed this with 4 different patching methods as well as with +CDawg who also confirmed it with some friends.

Yes, that's right. Blizzard took enough fun out of the game that Cataclysm is actually smaller than WotLK.

• Upvote 1

I hope you will expand a little more on the conversion from 3.3.x to 4.0.0. Trying everything and still get that freaking blizzard launcher connecting to their servers.

What do you mean?

• You simply either download and apply the 4.0.0.12911 patch or use a Cata DVD (iso if you downloaded it) which also patches you to 4.0.0.12911.
  • You never let the Launcher connect to anything, ever
    • Only WoW.exe should be allowed through your firewall and only after you modify realmlist.wtf to remove any reference to Blizzard's official servers

It may be a pain in the ass but it isn't rocket science.

This part of the updated guide has me a bit thrown.

Edit realmlist.wtf

• change "realmlist" and "patchlist" to point to your private server

Is this a 3.3.5a server or 4.3.4 server? I can't seem to get the 4.3.4 server to work without the maps, and I can't get the maps without the client to extract them from.

This part of the updated guide has me a bit thrown.

Edit realmlist.wtf

• change "realmlist" and "patchlist" to point to your private server

Is this a 3.3.5a server or 4.3.4 server? I can't seem to get the 4.3.4 server to work without the maps, and I can't get the maps without the client to extract them from.

Thanks for pointing that out, I updated the guide to clarify.

Durnig the patching it doesn't matter as long as you remove references to official servers. When the patching is done you will extract the DBCs, maps, etc. and point those entries to your private server.

• Upvote 1

Well according to the guide, wow-4.0.6.13596-to-4.0.6.13623 should be about 7 GB download, but I'm getting a 13.8 GB. Crossing fingers and hoping it comes out alright.

EDIT:

I'm not sure, but I have wow-update-13164.MPQ thru wow-update-13623.MPQ now in my data folder along with their lock companions, so I'm guessing the size difference my be due to all the previous patches being updated as well?

Well according to the guide, wow-4.0.6.13596-to-4.0.6.13623 should be about 7 GB download, but I'm getting a 13.8 GB. Crossing fingers and hoping it comes out alright.

EDIT:

I'm not sure, but I have wow-update-13164.MPQ thru wow-update-13623.MPQ now in my data folder along with their lock companions, so I'm guessing the size difference my be due to all the previous patches being updated as well?

I think the size difference is determined on wether you used a Cata DVD or the 4.0.0.12911 patch, which did you use? I'll update the guide if necessary.

As for those other MPQs, those should end up getting deleted at some point either by a patch or WoW.exe when it optimizes things.