TrinityCore

[HowTo] Patch from 3.3.5.12340 to 4.3.4.15595 (UPDATED 2014-01-24)

MrSmite

+MrSmite

That is normal, if you launch the game in windowed mode, and take a peek at the /Data directory you will see .lock files and mpqs, that are sized down. If you have a 15gb client after running, than it still isn't finished streaming. I went from 26gb with old world data, all the way down to roughly 16gbs and a finally 19.2. If you see the lock files temporarily generated, you will also see some of the mpqs shrink down. Which makes me think that during the streaming content back in the days there were so many bug reports about the client crashing, running the repair tool to get back to normal, than having to reapply the launcher patches (according to a couple of blue posts)

+MrSmite

That is normal, if you launch the game in windowed mode, and take a peek at the /Data directory you will see .lock files and mpqs, that are sized down. If you have a 15gb client after running, than it still isn't finished streaming. I went from 26gb with old world data, all the way down to roughly 16gbs and a finally 19.2. If you see the lock files temporarily generated, you will also see some of the mpqs shrink down. Which makes me think that during the streaming content back in the days there were so many bug reports about the client crashing, running the repair tool to get back to normal, than having to reapply the launcher patches (according to a couple of blue posts)

The problem is that nothing streams for me. I've run around and even teleported myself all over the place and my router shows no activity at all. Your 26 GB probably included the MoP data in the "migration" folder, right (that can be obtained by using someone else's MFIL / TFIL besides the one I supplied).

mpq optimization.

Makes sense, hadn't thought of that. Blizzard isn't known for optimization :)

Do you have the tfil and mfil in the root directory? The game 'thinks' it's done streaming. The game client also mimics exactly what the backgrounddownloader does, but a bit quicker.

Yes, I never removed the TFIL / MFIL.

You said you had a 26 GB client which is why I figured you had the MoP data since the files in the "TempMig" folder total 6 GB which, if you removed those would put you closer to the 20 GB I ended up with.

Hmm, found this Blue post from May of 2012 where someone was complaining about a 34 GB client:

You can trim it down to ~23 GB if you delete any previous patches and downloaders, like:

WoW-4.3.4.15595-enUS-patch.exe

WoW-4.3.4.15595-enUS-downloader.exe

Also check in the Updates folder, and delete anything besides:

wow-0-15595-Win-final.MPQ

Apparently Bliz hates PC users. This official 4.x patch mirrors has every patch from 4.0.0.12911 to 4.3.4.15595 for MAC users:

Here is the updated links for patch mirrors. These can be used to update your game if you are experiencing patching issues, or need to do a direct download due to network/ISP issues.

*If you notice, the 4.3.0.15005 patch version is now universal. For example, if you are on 4.1, this patch will stream you up to 4.2 and then patch you the rest of the way to the standalone.

Although some of the links are broken now, it's too bad they don't value their PC customers enough to have done the same for this series.

Did you run backgrounddownloader.exe after the final 434 patch? You should have about 11gb of data to download

yes i did, and i used the mfil and tfil files out of the  the collection you linked in the guide, and it didnt download anything......

Apparently Bliz hates PC users. This official 4.x patch mirrors has every patch from 4.0.0.12911 to 4.3.4.15595 for MAC users:

Although some of the links are broken now, it's too bad they don't value their PC customers enough to have done the same for this series.

When I was graciously given a walkthrough by a close friend at the Blizzard complex, everyone had mac laptop or a linux box under thier desk. From programmers, beta testers, graphic designers, artists, music/sound, you name it... I don't remember seeing one person with a Windows box.

Just curious, but would it be possible for someone with all the patches and files to create a git repository for updating the client? Fileplanet is only letting me download about 700 meg of a 4gig file, then just sits there.

Did you even read the first post? I uploaded all the patches to Atomic Gamer and the largest one I split into 6 pieces.

This one points to fileplanet, wow-3.3.x-to-4.0.0.12911 and the rest are like you said, on atomic.

Sorry, my bad. I guess I should go back and read the first post :)

Anyway, I forgot that I didn't upload that one to Atomic. I found it on Fileplanet so I didn't bother duplicating a 4 GB upload. If you're using Firefox, the plugin DownThemAll will get that one. It supports resume so you should be able to just pause / restart if the download gets stuck like that.

You could also try this mirror: http://www.shacknews.com/file/21253/world-of-warcraft-manual-patch-33x-to-400-us-full

• Upvote 1

so, after my 12 time doing this process i still didnt get a client that i could launch. and when i run the mapextractor it crashes immeadeatly. i may have an alternitive to this process, but before i post it i would like to know if any one has a different surefire tried and true method to get a client that will at least execute to the login screen and or allow the mapextractors to run properly?

so, after my 12 time doing this process i still didnt get a client that i could launch. and when i run the mapextractor it crashes immeadeatly. i may have an alternitive to this process, but before i post it i would like to know if any one has a different surefire tried and true method to get a client that will at least execute to the login screen and or allow the mapextractors to run properly?

Iv'e done it about 7 different times experimenting, without a problem, trying different methods. Even the extremely long and painful process of using the collection_mfil/tfil and never actually using patches on one client. Just pure snail streaming from Blizzards storage servers. All of them ending up with completely different sizes, but they all finally came to one complete size after it finished streaming.

Map extractors have been a problem for me as well.

+Billy

You need to ask on another topic if you are having issues with your extractors.

This is interesting (maybe)...

After 12 BSODs during installation from the Cata DVD, I finally got to 4.0.0.12911. Since I've been through this a bunch of times with varying degrees of success, I thought I might just see what all the fuss is about with the MFIL files.

I grabbed the 4.3.4.15595 MFIL and put together the URL to download the following:

file=Data/base-Win.MPQ
	name=Data/base-Win.MPQ
	size=28944242
	fileversion=15050
	flags=0
	path=base

Once downloaded, I extracted it using Ladik's MPQ editor. This file contains Launcher.exe, WoW.exe and other files you'd find in the root WoW directory. Here's the interesting part though... notice above it says fileversion=15050 which indicates that this MPQ file is current up to 4.3.4.15595? Well guess what version the WoW.exe is in that file? Right, it's 4.0.0.12911 even though the MFIL is for 4.3.4.15595.

Now not every patch has an MFIL and also some of the MFIL have this: 12911.streaming instead of 15050.direct. The MFIL started using the "direct" label at patch wow-4.3.0.15050-to-4.3.2.15211 and interestingly enough, this is the first patch where you could patch any version of WoW without needing previous patches.

Just for kicks, I decided to check base-Win.MPQ from an older, streaming version:

file=Data/base-Win.MPQ
	name=base-Win.MPQ
	size=30832731
	fileversion=12911
	flags=0
	path=base
	transportitem=default

Not surprisingly, this file comes up as 404 on all four of blizzard's distribution servers if you use 12911.streaming in the URL but changing it to 12911.direct nets you a healthy MPQ file with identical files as the ones with fileversion=15050. In fact, it's the same MPQ. The filesize is equal to the size from the 15050 URL even though the size for the 12911 URL clearly indicates a different file.

A theory I'm testing now is to direct download all the MPQ files in the 15595 MFIL file because it appears that the streaming versions of the files have been removed.

Edit 1:

Well after pre-allocating all the files, it only comes out to 14 GB so I doubt that direct downloading these is the way to go. The downloader must be doing some sort of "diffing" but my skills with OllyDbg are pretty crap so I couldn't figure out what it's really doing.

Edit 2:

It's interesting that in all the MFIL files, locale_enCN and locale_zhCN have an alternate.mpq which is not available to any other locale. I Wonder what's in it considering it's over 1GB in size.

Edit 2:

It's interesting that in all the MFIL files, locale_enCN and locale_zhCN have an alternate.mpq which is not available to any other locale. I Wonder what's in it considering it's over 1GB in size.

China does not allow blood or bones to show, so, all the skeleton and undead models have to be different for the Chinese version, as well as many other things that must be changed in the Chinese clients.

China does not allow blood or bones to show, so, all the skeleton and undead models have to be different for the Chinese version, as well as many other things that must be changed in the Chinese clients.

Interesting. I wonder how many Chinese players used Ladik's MPQ editor to just replace the files inside with those from a "normal" client.

Anyway, I wish I was better with a disassembler. From what I can tell, the Launcher always contacts a patch server to overwrite the MFIL with one from MoP. If you stop it outright then it says it can't find patch info and quits. I was trying to edit where it decides this is an error and force it to parse the existing MFIL file but, to no avail.

I found where it calls InternetCrackURL() but you can't simply NOP that because it needs to use it later when downloading MPQs and stuff. I also tried to simply stop it from writing the MFIL but well, I sucked at that too :(

Here's an interesting reply to a question about MoP downloading 17 GB of data:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712952508

Those 17GB are infact MoP and all the other patches.  But if you install with just the MoP disc, the final folder size is 19GB and there is no optimization step

Up to Cata from the discs is only 4.0.  From there is everything up to 4.3.4 + 6GB for MoP.  It then does optimization to bring everything together into 19GB

Personally, if you have to download 17GB, I would uninstall and get the digital client download from your account page which is 19GB.  Or buy MoP and install from that

It seems that the final tally for MoP is 19 GB which would indicate that the supposed "23 GB" for Cata is incorrect. In the 13+ times I've messed around with patching to Cata, I've always ended up with a 21 GB client that, after logging in once, finalized at 17 GB.

Well after pre-allocating all the files, it only comes out to 14 GB so I doubt that direct downloading these is the way to go. The downloader must be doing some sort of "diffing" but my skills with OllyDbg are pretty crap so I couldn't figure out what it's really doing.

HMMM...MrSmite we need to compare mfil/tfil files, cause i found a way to get a launching client, and this file size sounds exactly like what was downloaded for me. 

if fact im willing to bet that after you get that downloaded, you will be able to log in to your private server and that the client will start streaming more files to get you up to the right size.

HMMM...MrSmite we need to compare mfil/tfil files, cause i found a way to get a launching client, and this file size sounds exactly like what was downloaded for me. 

if fact im willing to bet that after you get that downloaded, you will be able to log in to your private server and that the client will start streaming more files to get you up to the right size.

Right now I'm trying a new method, only running the backgrounddownloader for certain patches.

So far I'm up to 4.1.0.1407 and have a 16 GB client. One patch downloaded 8 GB and I still have 8 patches to go with 7 of them where the download doesn't error with "not authorized"...

Edit:

Up to patch 4.3.2.15211 now and have a 20 GB client. This is the second patch which the download is authorized and it actualy downloads something (another 8 GB).

The files are art.mpq, sound.mpq, world.mpq, world2.mpq and wow-update-base-15211.mpq which incidentally total 8 GB in size. It doesn't appear to be streaming but rather downloading the whole file(s).

In-ter-rest-ing......since your using the background downloader i would assume it would download whole files. when you get patched to 4.3.4 let me know what happens when running wow.exe.

The older BGD was simply a torrent client that would only download the pieces you need. Those torrents used to say "streaming" in the URL. The more recent 4.x torrents now say "direct" (and also "use pieces 0") which to me indicates that it no longer downloads parts. This is probably why most of the 4.x patch websites used to say you didn't need previous patches.

I've done similar before and the client works fine with only 3 errors in the extractors about missing files. I typically end up with a 20 GB client that gets trimmed to 17 GB after login. One thing to note is that without running BGD I get a streaming icon while playing and when I use the BGD method I do not.

I'm mostly doing this to see if I can get consistent results with my last 2 attempts. If so, I will update the guide with the newer, more detailed process about when to run BGD and when not to.

I hope my ISP doesn't flag me for downloading over 100 Gb of data in the past week :)

let me explain what ive done and you tell me what you think.....

ive taken the binarys from the base directory for wow 434 and copied them to a different directory and (using the MFIL and TFIL that are linked below) ran the background downloader. background downloader initilizes and downloads a patch 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 at 14.3gb. (the actual download is 21 cause it also downloads some 5.0 migration data to a temp directory as well, which can be deleted after the downloader finished) launching wow gives me a window stating that wow is performing initial setup of data files and then after about 2-3 mins shows me the login screen. after exiting the actual size of my wow folder is 20gb, but size on disk is 14 gb. now the last 2 times i did this the client will download an additional 6gb. i dont know if it has to be logged in or just at the login screen to do the download, but i be doing some checking into it.

WoW.mfil.txt

WoW.tfil.txt

Edit1:edited for formating and to add the files

Edit2: after launching the client i checked to see if my network was active while wow was running, and it was, so as long as the wow is running it continues to download. at the same time i checked what was going on in the wow data directory, and all of the .mpq's have .lock files as well, so i can only assume that its continuing to add data to the files. after exiting wow a placeholderarchive.temp file is created and all the .lock files are gone. this is normal from what i understand from other blizzard posts and is part of the streaming client.

Edit3: for clarity