TrinityCore

Malware

linking images can't be harmful..?

Image files can contain malware in a variety of ways. Most often they contain trojan horses used to exploit vulnerabilities in software. As far back as Windows 98 I remember jpeg vulnerabilities in software programs and patches from Microsoft to fix them. Safety on the internet is an illusion. :)

linking images can't be harmful..?

Image files can contain malware in a variety of ways. Most often they contain trojan horses used to exploit vulnerabilities in software. As far back as Windows 98 I remember jpeg vulnerabilities in software programs and patches from Microsoft to fix them. Safety on the internet is an illusion. :)

I'm saying an image linked through the board.. how'd that possibly affect your computer?

Tinfoil hats aside it's a good idea to eliminate security risks whenever you find them. Most people won't be affected by such malware but it is true that infections from such things happen more than you know. Vulnerable systems can't protect themselves from known exploits that are allowed to exist. I still have a few customers using computers with archaic and vulnerable systems like Windows ME.

• 2 weeks later...

the pictures were not infected in any way, the ad system (which doesn't affect me, because, I use AdBlock and noscript addons) was compromised with a bad ad that got through, even the users of that board got so tinfoil hat about it, most of them left the forum for a newly created similar forum... some had been there over 10 years.