TrinityCore

New to Trinity, interested in development. Any tips?

Hunter79

Hey people,

Long time lurker just to keep up with some updates. I've had an interest in world of Warcraft for years but that's dwindled. I'm more interested in server development now and enjoying modding my localhosted server.

I would like to tweak boss mechanics and fix various bugs in game. I've got some programming knowledge but I can't find documentation for the API? Also are there any resources online you would recommend for getting started?

I'm on mobile right now so I won't be able to provide any links. I'm not really a regular here at TrinityCore but I do contribute some things once in a blue moon. 

In terms of resources find the TC wiki, that will give you some (used to be limited,  I don't know how is it now) information about the core. To get started I'd recommend taking a look at the bug tracker for something that looks easy to fix then just trying to do it (I'd suggest avoiding anything including packet structures and reverse engineering at the very beginning).

Sadly there is no end all, be all guide for development. You have to figure stuff out on your own mostly, and if you are really impossibly stuck you can try asking for help on the TrinityCore IRC channel. Luckily the core's code is generally very clear and well written so most times you should have little trouble understanding how something works. Finally, remember, Google is your friend.

I whish you good luck on this adventure, friend.