TrinityCore

Does simple code for site-based registration for TC servers exist?

Espionage724

Hi; in-short, I'm looking for some code I could adapt to work as an account-registration form (or module for Joomla) for a TC 3.3.5a server, but I don't really know where to begin.

From my limited understanding, the best way to handle account registrations is through SOAP or RA (SOAP being a better choice), and the old way of handling it was to just import stuff straight into the account database?

If SOAP is the best option, do I just need some sort of script (php?) to go from the website to the SOAP server (which I assume TC's worldserver is hosting)? Or does it need to also know what the database is too? I saw someone's example SOAP script, and it had both, but I would think that SOAP from TC would just know the databases on it's own? Would a single script be able to know what SOAP even is or how to send any info to it?

In the past, I usually handled account registrations through some large CMS that was repacked specifically for WoW, but I'm trying to avoid this. I'm pretty sure such account pages just sent the info straight into the database and users had to wait for the accounts to be refreshed I think automatically by the auth/realm/loginserver.

Ideally, I'd like for some simple readable code I could work with to toss into a Joomla module or page that just asks what a user wants for a username and pass, possibly some checks to make sure it isn't being abused (like mass-registering hundreds of accounts for some reason), and upon pressing a confirm button, that info would be sent to where it needs to go (either SOAP or the db directly) to make the account. Doesn't have to be flashy at all.

Edited by Espionage724

Seems Jeutie's registration page from his repack over on AC-web is the lightest thing I could find.

Not sure if it would be better to ask here or just start a new thread, but I'm having a problem using it, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with RBAC permissions. Is there an up-to-date guide anywhere that would happen to have a proper account creation procedure for the account associated with account registration pages?

You have to create a user with gmlevel of 3 and set that account in the config.php settings. Make sure the port is working. You also have to setup apache

​Is that it?

There was another guide I saw where you had to manually set the gmlevel of that account to something above 3, then manually do a bunch of rbac-related things for that particular account so that it could have rights to create user accounts.

• 2 months later...

If you understand php and mysql insertion through php, it is very simple to accomplish. Also there are many examples out there, you just have looked hard enough.

From my limited understanding, the best way to handle account registrations is through SOAP or RA (SOAP being a better choice), and the old way of handling it was to just import stuff straight into the account database?

Not necessarily the truth, although for commands like account deletion it is...

The trick for sql account insertion is allowing both databases to hold their `ID` integrity and have a separate table that stores both account id's (ie: CMS/account DB) in an associated field, from there you its just a matter of calling the account ID any time a change is needed.

Ideally, I'd like for some simple readable code I could work with to toss into a Joomla module or page that just asks what a user wants for a username and pass, possibly some checks to make sure it isn't being abused (like mass-registering hundreds of accounts for some reason), and upon pressing a confirm button, that info would be sent to where it needs to go (either SOAP or the db directly) to make the account. Doesn't have to be flashy at all.

This isn't gonna happen, there will always be some customization to the base code, Joomla is crap, and unsecured from out of the box. Your best bet is hire someone that knows what they're doing and have them create you a secure registration page independent, from any CMS/Forum you plan to use.

Or pick one of the many free ones from the web ;)

I ended up just taking the registration page from Jeutie's WotLK repack (which uses SOAP), stripping off the images, made the CSS look a tiny bit better, added some easy config switches to support other emus and xpacs, and currently have it integrated with Joomla in the off-canvas sidebar with T3/Purity III.

It doesn't look amazing (not that it really needs to), but it seems to get the job done nicely.

Here's the GitLab repo for it for anyone interested: https://gitlab.com/Espionage724/SOAP-Registration-Site

And a (slightly-older) preview of how it looks in Joomla:

dTPiM9.png

1 hour ago, Zze said:

...Joomla is crap, and unsecured from out of the box. Your best bet is hire someone that knows what they're doing and have them create you a secure registration page independent, from any CMS/Forum you plan to use.

Hmm, how is Joomla insecure? I think I have my setup pretty good to go, but if there's anything I might have missed, I'd be interested to know.

Edited by Espionage724

10 minutes ago, Zze said:

Point is some of those were discovered just last month, and there is more that haven't been discovered/leaked today. Joomla was built with a build first fix later type mentality, I wouldn't think of it as secure.

Ah, that is a good point, thanks for the advice!

I'll look into trying another CMS in the future; I've messed with Drupal a little bit and thought it was ok.