TrinityCore

Database Installation Step - Confused on what to do

25toten

Hello, I'm new to setting this up and have never used any of these programs before. I've been successful so far following the guide. https://trinitycore.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/tc/pages/2130092/Databases+Installation

I'm at a dead still with the Database Installation page. The terms are fairly ambiguous to someone who barely has any idea what they're doing. I've looked all over this site for a more detailed set of instructions. I'm setting up the 3.3.5a build. Could someone please explain a few of these steps in more detail? 

Creating the Trinity databases in MySQL

To create the MySQL databases needed by Trinity, you need to execute the following MySQL queries:

You can perform this with a MySQL client or with the MySQL command-line interface (CLI).

>What does it mean to execute the following query?

You would need to use one MySQL root account before starting core to run one of those files (use MySQL root only to import one of those files, never run core as root or administrator).

TIP: edit those 2 files and change default password to something else for increased security (remember to edit conf files to use new password).

>What files are they referring to?

Trinity needs three databases to run at 3.3.5 branch and four for master - AuthCharactersWorld and hotfixes (master only):

• auth - holds account data - usernames, passwords, GM access, realm information, etc.
  • characters - holds character data - created characters, inventory, bank items, auction house, tickets, etc.
  • world - holds game-experience content such as NPCs, quests, objects, etc
  • hotfixes (master only) - holds fixes not already added to the core or other official databases.

>These links goes to sites that have nothing meaningful on them. Unsure what this step is all about. 

Populating the MySQL Trinity databases

From the unpacked 7z folder copy the SQL files that start with "TDB_world_" and "TDB_hotfixes_" (6.x branch only) to the directory where your worldserver binary is (DON'T RENAME THOSE FILES OR AUTOMATIC SETUP WILL FAIL)

>I put the TDB_world.sql file in the .../bin folder where worldserver.exe is. I ran it with heidiSQL and am not sure if that is all I was suppose to do? I'm assuming worldserver binary means worldserver.exe? 

NOTICE: you don't need to import any databases, only the file creating users. If you have plans to import databases manually you need to disable autoupdater on config files.

If you have plans to change default mysql usernames and passwords make sure you have set valid database login information and the table names you want to use in the same config files (authserver/bnetserver/worldserver.conf) under "CONNECTIONS AND DIRECTORIES".

• Notice that the databases are not created yet. The names you set in the config will be used for the created databases.

Start worldserver and press enter when it asks if you want to create databases.

>Currently worldserver.exe will immediately close when I open it, claiming the default password "yes" isn't correct. I presume thats because I didn't do some of the above steps.

Thanks in advance for any clarification. I'm a super noob to all this.

Capture.PNG

> What does it mean to execute the following query?

You'll probably want to read this. It tells you how to run a query file in mysql:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/mysql.html

I'm not familiar with the graphical clients, but the command line version should work the same in windows as it does in linux. Basically, you're using the "<" symbol to read the file into the mysql client. You may also need to specify the user name and password.

>What files are they referring to?

The two linked query files. You actually only need the 3.3.5 version, so it would have been clearer to say "one file". Edit the query file you download (if you want to), then run it with mysql, the way they do in the link above, to create the database user and the databases.

>I put the TDB_world.sql file in the .../bin folder where worldserver.exe is. I ran it with heidiSQL and am not sure if that is all I was suppose to do? I'm assuming worldserver binary means worldserver.exe?

Don't run the TDB*sql file. It's imported automatically when you run worldserver. Yes, executable files are binary files.

I'm not sure where the 'yes' password is coming from. The database password(s) in the configuration files and the query file you use to create the databases must be the same. Note that you don't have to change them from the defaults. If you haven't run the query file yet, you haven't created the database user, so it would make sense that the program can't gain access.

Thank you Dane!

Okay, literally all you have to do is copy paste this text into the command prompt for mysql: https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore/blob/3.3.5/sql/create/create_mysql.sql

I wish the guide would've said that. I figured that out by a random guess. I feel dumb for not having figured that out sooner. As long as the TBD_world file is in the folder worldserver.exe is, after pasting that text into CMD, run worldserver.exe and it will do its thing automatically.

Edited by 25toten

7 hours ago, 25toten said:

Thank you Dane!

Okay, literally all you have to do is copy paste this text into the command prompt for mysql: https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore/blob/3.3.5/sql/create/create_mysql.sql

I wish the guide would've said that. I figured that out by a random guess. I feel dumb for not having figured that out sooner. As long as the TBD_world file is in the folder worldserver.exe is, after pasting that text into CMD, run worldserver.exe and it will do its thing automatically.

the guide is made for people with a minimum knowledge of the system they use.

• 10 months later...

I am at this point "Creating the Trinity databases in MySQL".  Could someone please break this down a bit more then the guide shows for making the databases.

I log into to HeidiSQL using root and password. Then what? I tried copying the 3.3.5 stuff in the link in the query tab and running it but that just gave an error that "world" already existed.  Granted I have very very little knowledge and this sections starts using terms that were not used in the last sections.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

8 hours ago, Tersoth said:

I am at this point "Creating the Trinity databases in MySQL".  Could someone please break this down a bit more then the guide shows for making the databases.

I log into to HeidiSQL using root and password. Then what? I tried copying the 3.3.5 stuff in the link in the query tab and running it but that just gave an error that "world" already existed.  Granted I have very very little knowledge and this sections starts using terms that were not used in the last sections.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

you don't need to create databases, core will do the job.