TrinityCore

Suggestion - A 'guides' Subforum

I see that the number of pinned posts in the 'Help and Support' section is getting large. My original thought was to try to move some of the "How To" posts to the wiki but I can't create new pages.

So I figured I'd suggest instead that all posts that are guides or "How To" posts be moved to a subsection of "Help and Support" called "Guides".

I know it may seem like more micromanagement for your mods but having a separate guides forum would:

• Allow the "How To" posts to be easily browsed (especially when they become "unpinned")
  • Free up the pinned list for its original intended purpose: important notices
  • Prevent the first page of "Help and Support" from being nothing but pinned posts
  • Encourage more people to write guides (maybe)

Anyway, just a thought after the success of the "solved" section which seems to have cut down on duplicate questions.

Edit:

I see you could actually free up pinned slots in several forums that have guides in them. In fact some guides I didn't even know whe had :)

• Upvote 7

Just make everyone a mod. What could happen? ;)

While it's true guide posters can wander off and not update their guide it's still useful on a forum where people can more easily discuss the topic of the guide and refine it over time. I've seen some pretty good guides on forums and some pretty bad ones. The good ones usually get a sticky though.

It's obvious why wiki is better for this job:

Guides needs to be updated, cleaned, clarified, and for that a forum means that original poster must do the job or ppl with moderation privileges, instead on wiki anyone can fix/update a guide.

I propose myself for that tedius job. :)

It's obvious why wiki is better for this job:

Guides needs to be updated, cleaned, clarified, and for that a forum means that original poster must do the job or ppl with moderation privileges, instead on wiki anyone can fix/update a guide.

Except users aren't able to make new pages on the wiki so how would these editable guides get there in the first place? Since there's only an 'edit' option, guides have to be posted in the "Help and Support" forum anyway. Might as well make a more appropriate subforum for them.

PS:

If you do go with the wiki, I hope you keep regular backups. That way when someone comes from a rival core (remember those DOS attacks?) to purposely edit mistakes into the guides they can be restored.

The creation of new pages belongs to devs :P

Which is kind of my point. If people can't create guides on the wiki then they'll end up in the Help & Support forum where they'll either be buried and forgotten or stickied which may fill a page or two after a while. Not to mention there are stickied guides in other forums too which really should be consolidated into a localized "Guides" section.

I just figured since every member can create posts in Help & Support that it would be more intuitive to have the 'Guides' subforum here.

I really don't think you want to give everyone elevated priveleges on the wiki and I doubt the devs. want to be in charge of moving guides from the forums to the wiki, do they?

Also the best point of a wiki is that it can be reverted without having to store old data.

Ok, well that is a good feature.

The devs have enough to do without making guides. Besides, they should only be allowed out of the dungeon for a little sunshine when they've done enough coding. ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's nice when devs take time to write good reference material, but if someone else can manage it they can spend time doing what they're best at.

Well written forum guides can be copy/pasted right to the wiki and then there is still a spot to discuss the guide.