Aokromes

Tool for Scripters/DB devs

11 posts in this topic

I think we need a tool to allow scripters and db devs to research sniffs in a better and easier way.

The tool needs to be multiplatform and license must be AGPL.

The idea is you load the parsed sniff into the tool, (it needs to open huge txt files, over 1 GB on size) then:

- 1st dropdown will allow the dev to select what he wants to research (for example: creature, gameobject, vehicle, npc_text, poi, waypoints...)

- 2nd dropdown will list the IDs of the creatures/gameobjects/vehicles you have selected (allows multiple selections).

- 3rd dropdown will list the GUIDs of the creatures/gameobjects of the ID(s) you have selected (allows multiple selections).

When you select the GUID(s) under the dropdowns, you will get the coords for a creature/gameobject or creature using the npc_text or the quest of a poi.

And under that, on the left, you will have the timing(s) where sniffer found the selected object.
When selecting it on the right, we will see the actions performed by the object at that time.

In case of waypoints allow to load maps and draw the route of the creature.

zfspycu.png

IzS1zC3.png

Looks like a good idea, maybe providing a documentation regarding the format of the files that need to be parsed can help a lot whoever is going to implement this

The waypoint creater I made does this for waypoints. It's hard to write a program to do everything.

@Shin: It is probably advantageous to implement a new machine readable output in WPP since the produced txt files aren't really consitent. That should be the first development step.

Quite interesting. Any idea on the language that should be used? 

Why C#? I mean. You are asking for someone to do it. Can't it be Java? Or maybe the developer's choice? What's more multiplatform?

As for the multiple-selection dropdowns... don't think that's posible without making your own component. I don't really think that part is actually needed. Anyways. I could do this, but I am new to the project and stuff. Any help on how to read the sniffed data would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by DorekoNeko

1 hour ago, Nay said:

https://github.com/TrinityCore/WowPacketParser (surprise! it's written in C#)

If I understood it right, this tool @Aokromes is asking is a separate tool. The only thing in common between the two tools is that one has to process the processed txt file from the other. So, as I said, why the second tool has to be writen in C#? Why can't I do it in e.g. Java? Just want to know. I can do it in C# but I'm just curious.

Edited by DorekoNeko

It can be done in any language. It just needs to work and be useful :)

On 6/16/2016 at 4:40 PM, Aokromes said:

The idea is you load the parsed sniff into the tool, (it needs to open huge txt files, over 1 GB on size)

maybe the SQL output of WPP can help this part since it comes down to MySQL performance. After all this tool does not much more than a MySQL SELECT, it just needs data being stored in a more query-friendly way (waypoints drawing is a separated topic than sniff filtering).